Obama Receives Kennedy Stamp of Approval at AU Rally

The cold temperatures and early hour did little to stop supporters, including some students from Georgetown University, of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) from turning out in large numbers for a “Stand for Change” rally sponsored by American University’s Kennedy Political Union. Those at the front of the line said they arrived outside Bender Arena, where the rally took place, as early as 5 a.m. yesterday. Most of the attendees were college students, teachers and local residents were interspersed throughout the crowd. The Obama campaign staged the rally in part to accept an endorsement from members of the Kennedy family. Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.) and Caroline Kennedy, daughter of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy, all announced their support of Obama this week. All three Kennedys were on hand to declare their support for Obama. “[Obama] is a leader who can galvanize our younger generation . and inspire confidence and faith in our government,” Patrick Kennedy said. His cousin Caroline likened Obama to her father, John F. Kennedy. “[Obama is] a candidate who offers that same sense of hope and inspiration,” she said. But Edward Kennedy elicited the loudest cheer from the crowd. “I feel change in the air,” he said. “I’ll support the candidate who inspires me, who inspires all of us, who can lift our vision and summon our hopes and renew our belief that our country’s best days are still to come. I’ve found that candidate. And it looks to me like you have too.” Obama then took the stage to applause and chants of the campaign’s motto, “Fired up! Ready to go!” The presidential hopeful thanked the members of the Kennedy family and spoke to the positive impact that the lives and careers of John F. Kennedy and his brother, Bobby Kennedy, have had on his own journey as a politician. “I think my own sense of what’s possible in this country comes in part from what they said America was like in the days of John and Robert Kennedy,” Obama said. Obama then called for Americans of every gender, race, religion and class to take control of the nation again, to bring about an end to the divide and to “recapture the sense of common purpose.” Obama also pointed to John F. Kennedy and his legacy as contributors to his late father’s ability to come to the United States to be educated. “It is partly because of their generosity that my father came to this country, and because he did, I stand before you today – inspired by America’s past, filled with hope for America’s future, and determined to do my part in writing our next great chapter.” With a final call for the “hands, help and hearts” of the American people, Obama declared that he and his supporters would emerge triumphant from the imminent primaries as well as the general election. Obama predicted that he and his growing support base will “change the course of history and light a new torch for change in this country.” Kelly Snyder (SFS ’11) attended the rally and said that Obama inspired her unlike any other politician. “My grandma was a teenager during John F. Kennedy’s presidency and worked for Bobby Kennedy’s campaign. When they were both assassinated, she lost faith and hope in American politics, and I think a lot of her peers did as well. But I tell her that [Obama] is my Bobby Kennedy, my JFK, because he provides the same sense of faith and passion that they did.”