Offensive Onslaught Overwhelms Colonials

The Georgetown women’s soccer team entered its Sunday match against Robert Morris looking to win its second straight game. A four-game Hoya win streak had been snapped a week earlier by Santa Clara, but Georgetown (6-1) continued putting together a new win streak with a 6-0 thrashing of Robert Morris (2-3).

Robert Morris was coming off an exhausting double-overtime win against George Washington on Friday, and the aggressive, energetic Hoyas took advantage almost immediately. A mere five minutes into the first half, sophomore midfielder Kelly D’Ambrisi netted her second goal of the season, with the assist from redshirt sophomore and fellow midfielder Ingrid Wells, on a wicked shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and into the net.

After the first goal, the Blue and Gray kept pressing forward, and after a header in the ninth minute sailed just wide of the Colonials’ goal, D’Ambrisi returned the favor by setting up Wells for her third goal of the season. Even with a two-goal lead, the Hoyas continued to attack, as the Colonials struggled to get the ball out of their half of the field. After a few more dangerous crosses into the box amounted to nothing, the Hoyas notched their third goal in the 31st minute when sophomore forward Camille Trujillo was brought down in the box, resulting in a penalty kick. Wells calmly converted from the spot for her second goal of the game.

That third goal seemed to energize the Colonials, who finally registered their first two shots on goal in rapid succession with three minutes left in the half. Junior goalkeeper Jackie DesJardin was equal to the task, however, and one minute later, the Hoyas responded with their fourth goal of the game, this one coming on a beautiful chip by junior midfielder Amy Speck from the right of the goal, just outside the penalty box.

The second half saw a few changes for the Hoyas, most notably the replacement of DesJardin with sophomore goalie Elizabeth Hanna. Even with a four-goal lead, Georgetown stayed aggressive and D’Ambrisi continued her stellar play when she sent a rocket toward the goal just two minutes into the second half that the Robert Morris keeper barely parried. Minutes later, freshman midfielder Mollie Curran hit a hard, low shot that was barely turned aside by the keeper and rolled tantalizingly across the mouth of the goal, but no Hoyas could finish the play.

Although quality scoring chances for the Blue and Gray were few and far between for the next 35 minutes, the Hoya defense did not make it easy for the Colonials, who did not register their third shot on goal until the 68th minute. Again, the Hoyas responded to increasing pressure from their opponents with a goal, and this time it was the captain, graduate student Sara Jordan, who pounced on a rebound off a Trujillo header and put the ball into a wide open net. Robert Morris kept pressuring the Hoyas and forced Hanna to make a fine save with just three minutes left in the game to preserve the clean sheet. Trujillo then added an exclamation point to the Hoyas’ explosive offensive performance, putting a low, curling shot past a helpless keeper from outside the box with only 46 seconds left to cap off an impressive 6-0 victory.

Georgetown returns to the pitch at 3 p.m on Friday. when it opens its Big East schedule against Villanova at North Kehoe Field.”