Officers Arrest Robbery Suspects

Two armed robbers were apprehended Wednesday night after robbing a Georgetown student and two other individuals near campus.

Jonathan Walters (MSB ’06) said that he was walking southbound on the 1500 block of 35th Street at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday when he passed by two men. One displayed a handgun and demanded money.

“I was walking past these two young guys, and [it was apparent that] they weren’t asking for directions,” said Walters. “They were just standing there . one guy said `give me your money’, so I gave them the cash I had.”

According to Walters, the suspects then walked to their nearby Ford Explorer and drove away.

Walters said that he immediately returned to campus and reported the crime to Department of Public Safety officers at Healy Gates.

According to David Morrell, vice president for university safety, officials informed the Metropolitan Police Department of the crime, and the police issued a city-wide broadcast for the suspects.

Later that evening, MPD arrested two men who fit the description of the suspects.

“MPD thinks these are guys who were involved in robberies in Mt. Pleasant and Columbia Heights,” Morrell said.

Both neighborhoods are located in the District’s northwest quadrant, three to five miles away from Georgetown.

Morrell also said that the same suspects were implicated in two robberies that occurred Wednesday on Q Street and Volta Place, only blocks away from campus.

Walters expressed his satisfaction upon learning of the suspects’ arrest.

“[They were] the most inept criminals I ever heard of,” he said.

He also commended DPS and MPD for their roles in apprehending the suspects.

“I was very pleased with the professionalism of MPD and that they found [the suspects]. It was a great job of police work.. My hat goes off to the police.”

Walters’ quick actions were also lauded by university officials.

Morrell said DPS would hold a recognition ceremony for him in the near future.

There have been multiple armed robberies near campus in the last month.

On Jan. 2 a woman was walking into her house on the 2800 block of Dumbarton Street when a suspect struck her with a silver handgun before fleeing the scene. Later that night a man robbed two people after telling them that “this is not your lucky day.” On Jan. 11 a suspect stole a woman’s purse after flashing a gun. On Jan. 17 an armed robber shot a Northeast D.C. man in his foot in the 3400 block of P Street.

– HOYA Staff Writer Moises Mendoza contributed to this report