OIP Ensures Georgetown Student Safety in Madrid

The safety of all Georgetown students studying in Spain this semester has been confirmed, after the March 11 train station bombings in Madrid. In accordance with emergency protocols, students studying in Madrid, Alcala, Salamanca and Seville were immediately contacted by phone and text message in order to ensure their safety, according to Lori Citti, associate director of overseas studies.

“We are continuing to monitor events in Spain, Department of State updates and actions being taken by other U.S. universities with programs in Madrid,” Citti said.

Georgetown students were asked to contact their parents immediately and to avoid traveling to or through Madrid until after arch 14, the date of Spain’s general elections. They were also reminded to remain alert and informed of local news and messages from their resident directors.

The resident directors in Spain, Ani Flys and Marina Elias, have contacted the U.S. Embassy in Madrid and are also connected to the U.S. Citizen Warden Message System to keep them informed of any warnings from the U.S. Embassy.

Erik Iverson (SFS ’05), who is currently studying at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, thought that the events were handled well.

“Georgetown did a great job of keeping in touch with us throughout the crisis and accounting for everyone,” he said. “Our director over here, Ani Flys, did what needed to be done without overreacting or blowing things out of proportion.”

Although students are being asked to discuss all travel plans with their parents and resident directors, Iverson said that “I feel as safe over here as I would in Washington.”

Ned Price (SFS ’05), who is also studying in Madrid, agrees with Iverson on the issue of their safety in Spain.

“I still feel safe overall. I have no plans to alter any of my travel plans,” he said.

In light of current affairs, both students would still strongly recommend studying abroad to any interested students.

The day has also been compared to the events of Sept. 11, 2001 in the United States.

“Shocking images on the television, confusion, sadness. It’s different, to be so close, it’s not like hearing about tragedies half a world away. It gets to you,” Dan Capizzi (SFS ’05) said.