Owls Hand Hoyas Third-Straight Loss In Decisive Match

Coming off two disappointing conference losses over the weekend, the Georgetown volleyball team suffered its third-straight disheartening loss on Wednesday against Temple. The Owls won decisively in a three-game sweep (10-15, 6-15, 5-15).

The loss drops Georgetown’s overall record to 15-13 and continues an incredible display of skill by Temple which continues on a hot streak, winning their 14th game in 16 tries.

Despite the disappointing loss, a few Hoyas turned in solid performances. Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Warner led the team in kills with 11 and freshman Jennifer Ward was strong at set, with 22 assists. Again proving her strength on defense, junior outside hitter Yulia Vtyurina had a team-high 11 digs and a strong offensive effort with seven kills.

But the Owls, led by Senior Atlantic 10 Player of the Year Alma Kovaci and last week’s Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week argaret Majewska, both contributing kills in the double figures, overpowered the Hoyas in three games. Temple maintained a solid .243 hitting percentage throughout the match, holding Georgetown to only .113. Though the Hoyas edged out the Owls in blocks, 9-8, it was not enough to stop the red-hot Temple squad.

Georgetown finishes their season tomorrow at 4 p.m. against Villanova in McDonough Gymnasium. Having conceded any hopes of Big East Tournament berth, according to Head Coach Li Liu, the rest of the teams hope to make significant improvements over the offseason to achieve the same success it did in 1999, winning the Big East Championship.

Related Links

Volleyball Team Page

Volleyball Schedule

Volleyball Roster