Panel Explores Accuracy of Gibson’s Passion

Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ has drawn blockbuster crowds in its opening three weeks, but continues to remain a controversial film as a panel discussion Tuesday in cShain Lounge demonstrated.

The panel brought together members of the campus ministry, administration and student community for a discussion of the much-hyped movie.

Bernard Cook, associate director of the John Carroll Scholars Program, said that the film expresses what he calls “penitential witness.” The movie, he said, brings viewers into the action, demanding that viewers witness and suffer along with the Passion of Christ.

At the same time, Cook called the film “relentlessly commercial and profane.” He compared The Passion to Martin Scorsese’s 1988 film, The Last Temptation of the Christ. That film, Cook said, did a better job of expressing Jesus’ meaning of moving toward divinity.

He said that The Passion falls more along the lines of other Gibson films, such as Mad Max and the Lethal Weapon series that subject the main hero to torture in the second act, in order to be saved in the final act.

Rabbi Harold White, senior Jewish chaplain, noted at least eight historical inaccuracies in the film ranging from the vestments of the high priest Caiphas to the general depiction of priests acting in ways contrary to their laws.

The worst aspect of the film, he said, was the portrayal of Pontius Pilate as a benign figure who is reluctant to sentence Jesus.

According to Rabbi White, “Pilate was in fact one of the most cruel governors in the Roman Empire.” The scene that White found the most inaccurate and offensive was the destruction of the Temple of Solomon right after Jesus’ death. “The film would have viewers believe that because the Jews killed Jesus, they were punished with the destruction of the Temple,” he said. The movie places the two events together when White said that they occurred almost 40 years apart.

Having seen the film with friends, William Godwin (COL ’07) said he was not ready for the extreme violence or the spiritual effect that it would have on his life. Too often, Godwin said, too many students lose their connection with God.

“This movie, however, gives viewers a renewed sense of vigor to seek change in our life,” he said. “The model of Christ serves as a role model for young people, for as students we all bear our own little crosses of family pressures, depression and racial discrimination. The film gives viewers a greater passion to live a better life.”

The Rev. Philip Boroughs, S.J., vice president for mission and ministry, said he was also moved by the emotional relationship between Jesus and Mary but said the horrific violence especially during the scourging of Christ made the film “an endurance contest.”

The speakers all acknowledged the new forum created by the film for discussing issues of faith and spirituality. White said that the film “caters to the media of our time. But by focusing on the agony and not the ecstasy of Christ, the true message of the cross is lost.”

The film’s violence has brought in young viewers, prompting Rabbi White to add “the film should force us to look at our own culture. Unfortunately, we live in a society that adores violence.”

The Passion of the Christ has earned more than $264 million in three weeks. A Gallup Poll taken last week found that 11 percent of Americans had seen the film and that 34 percent were planning to watch the film.

The discussion was sponsored by the Office of Mission and inistry.