Partnership to Seek New Cancer Drug

Georgetown University Medical Center and the pharmaceutical corporation MedImmune announced on Monday that they will be collaborating on a new research project focusing on the development of a cancer-fighting drug.

MedImmune, with Georgetown’s help, is trying to develop special antibodies that attack anaplastic lymphoma kinas, or ALK. ALK has been associated with the growth of solid tumors, which can lead to prostate, colon and lung cancers.

“Our hope is that this agreement between MedImmune and Georgetown will contribute to the development of new, targeted treatments in the ongoing battle against cancer,” Medical Center spokeswoman Laura Cavender said. “MedImmune is among the largest biotechnology companies in the region, and one of its areas of focus over the last several years has been on developing promising new technologies in the area of cancer.”

According to the terms of the agreement, MedImmune will be provided with exclusive worldwide rights to create such cancer-fighting drugs. The Gaithersburg-based company will also be in charge of the clinical trials and commercialization of the developed drug. Georgetown will receive an up-front payment, as well as potential milestone and royalty payments for any drugs that are created with collaborated research.

The collaboration’s emphasis is on ALK, a receptor found in high levels in cancer cells. High doses of ALK and an associated molecule, pleiotrophin, or PTN, have been located in a variety of cancer types such as prostate, breast, colon, lung, pancreatic and ovarian cancers.

Research indicates an increase in PTN can lead to a lower cancer survival rate. Consequently, MedImmune will study the development of anti-ALK antibodies to reduce tumor growth and increase chances of survival.

GUMC also received over $810,000 in April from the National Cancer Institute for the development of the Cancer Biomedicals Network Grid, a network that connects a variety of cancer research centers. Such a network allows many scientists to collaborate with one another.