Peace Action Raises Aid for Iraqi Relief

Georgetown University Peace Action raised $100 for humanitarian aid to Iraq during an “Artists for Peace” event last Tuesday, April 15, in Red Square. The event’s proceeds will be sent to UNICEF.

“We chose UNICEF because it is one of the few humanitarian organizations that have already reentered Iraq and begun to help the people directly,” Emil Totonchi (SFS ’06), GU Peace Action spokesperson, said.

The Artists for Peace event, the second of its type this year, included different musicians voicing their opinions about the current state of affairs in Iraq. Between 40 and 50 people attended the event, according to Totonchi.

Totonchi criticized the Bush administration’s efforts at humanitarian relief in Iraq, where the ruling Baath Party, led by Saddam Hussein, was expelled over two weeks ago.

“The main reason we had the event was because we feel that we need to help the humanitarian relief to Iraq as much as we can,” he said. “Not enough humanitarian aid was requested by the Bush administration; this relief is needed now, so if we don’t all help now, the suffering will continue. Children suffered before the war due to economic sanctions, and are now suffering because of this war.”

GU Peace Action has organized a peace protest throughout the duration of the war in Red Square, where students have camped out in opposition to the war.

“Many people believe that the war is over, but that is far from the truth,” Totonchi said. “There is disorder in the form of widespread looting, the hospitals are a mess, people are not getting fast enough humanitarian aid, and civil society is currently nonexistent. What exists in Iraq right now is the opposite of peace.”

Peace Action has reaffirmed its commitment to continuing its protest despite the fall of Hussein’s regime.

“The next stage of intervention in Iraq is the most difficult task, and people need to realize that there is still a lot of work ahead in order to bring a better Iraq. Peace Action feels that it is doing its part,” he said.