Peace Corps Draws Hoyas

Georgetown sent more graduates to the Peace Corps than all but two other private universities in 2005, while ranking third among all public and private universities of similar size nationwide, Corps officials said.

Fifty-four Georgetown graduates enrolled in the Peace Corps in 2005, bringing the total number of Georgetown students that have served in the Peace Corps since its creation in 1961 to 740, according to Peace Corps spokesman Nathan Arnold.

The Peace Corps includes all institutions with 5,001-15,000 undergraduates in its medium-size category, in which Georgetown placed second in 2004 with 67 alumni volunteers.

The University of Virginia has topped the medium-sized chart for the last three years, with 84 new volunteers in 2005. The University of Wisconsin-Madison led colleges nationwide with 129 volunteers.

Robyn Mofsowitz, a regional recruiter for the Peace Corps, said that many students at Georgetown balance a strong academic record with substantial volunteer service and recognized that Georgetown students have a “sense of community service and the importance of it.”

Mofsowitz said that Peace Corps considers community service experience and other factors like academic records when reviewing the applications of prospective volunteers. She encouraged students who may be interested in enrolling after graduation to become involved in local service projects.

Mofsowitz also attributed Georgetown’s strong recruiting record to its students’ awareness of international events.

“At Georgetown, the majority of students have heard of the Peace Corps and know what it’s about,” she said.

Arnold said that the organization accepts individuals from diverse educational backgrounds. He said that a person who has studied anything from journalism to accounting can help a village ravaged by AIDS.

“We’re looking for people of all different types and skills,” Arnold said. “Whatever the background is, Peace Corps can find a place.”

Deva Rama (GRD ’07), who returned from Guatemala after 27 months of Peace Corps service in 2004, said that his college education provided little basis for his service. After graduating with a chemistry degree from Case Western Reserve University in 2000, Rama found himself working for a micro-finance organization in Guatemala and instructing business classes for the natives.

Rama, who had business experience before enlisting in the Peace Corps in 2002, said that he joined “to do something fun, interesting and different.”

“I really enjoyed working with the people, working with the locals,” he added.

Arnold said that the median age for Peace Corps volunteers is 25 years old, with approximately 80 percent of Peace Corps volunteers between the ages of 20-30.

After submitting their applications, applicants are interviewed and must receive a medical screening before they can be accepted to the program. Arnold said that once this process is completed, it may take anywhere from 3-18 months to be deployed.

Rama urged students considered joining the Peace Corps to talk to former volunteers.

“Everyone’s experience is different,” he said.