Planning of Class Gifts Moves Forward

Two class gifts will complement the recently completed Southwest Quadrangle – a beautification project from the class of 2001 and a “Welcome to Georgetown” sign for the Canal Road entrance from the class of 2003.

Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing, said that the plants and benches are being installed throughout the Quad.

“You can see that they are doing more work right now, because some of the trees have to be planted now with cooler weather than we had when construction finished in August,” she said about the construction efforts.

The class of 2003 raised a record $30,000 for their gift, but Frank said that the plans for a sign may still have to be scaled down.

“We are engaging an architect to design the sign, and it has to be priced,” Frank said. “This we’ll probably go back and forth on, to get something for the amount of money that we have. It may take some time to complete the design with the budget that we’re working from.”

Frank said that the project will also need approval by the Old Georgetown Board and the Commission on Fine Art.

“We look forward to working with the university and the appropriate authorities to make sure that the success of the class of 2003 is cemented,” Tim Sullivan (COL ’03), co-class gift chair for the class of 2003, said. “We’re confident that we can work productively to leave a lasting legacy for the class of 2003.” Sullivan is a former HOYA editor in chief.

The class of 2002’s class gift, a Sept. 11 memorial garden on the 3600 block of N Street, was dedicated during last year’s homecoming weekend.