Public Transportation Fares Increase, New Shuttle System Planned for D.C.

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Georgetown Metro Connection doubled bus fares this summer.

Getting around the city this fall just got a little more expensive – and it could soon get a little easier.

Fare increases on major lines of transportation in Washington, D.C. came into effect over the summer. Metrorail and Metrobus system base fares increased by nine percent, growing from $1.10 to $1.20 per ride. The increase was the first in eight years for the system and came into effect on June 29.

The Georgetown Metro Connection, or `Blue Bus,’ which runs recognizable shuttle buses to the Rosslyn, Dupont and Foggy Bottom Metro stations, doubled its fare from 50 cents to $1 on July 1. Fares with Metrorail transfer increased from 25 cents to 35 cents.

Ken Gray, executive director of the Georgetown Partnership, attributed the increase to unexpected maintenance costs for the buses as a result of construction projects on M Street and Wisconsin Ave. and to rising operation costs. He noted that gas and insurance costs in Washington, D.C. have risen sharply since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

“It came down to cutting service or increasing the fares,” Gray said. “We held the fares steady for 20 months, but we simply could not sustain the costs of the program.”

Additionally, a proposed shuttle bus route could make transportation throughout the city more efficient. The system, known as the Circulator, is intended to provide access to major tourist attractions and between federal office buildings. One of the four proposed routes would run through Georgetown to Union Station.

The 86 buses would have unique, noticeable designs and color schemes to distinguish them from MetroBus vehicles. With a proposed 50 cent fare, the bus system intends to carry 45,000 passengers a day.