Putting the Issue to Bed: GU Not to Make Switch to Doubles

Although a few schools across the country have started substituting their dormitories’ traditional twin beds with double beds, Georgetown students will be sleeping on the same mattresses, officials say.

The switch began at the University of North-Carolina-Greensboro, where new apartment-style housing was built last year specifically to fit double beds, which are approximately 16-inches wider and between five-10 inches longer than a standard twin bed.

According to Mary Hummel, the school’s director of housing affairs, there has been an encouraging attitude towards the new beds. “The students like it very much,” she said.

And at American University, administrators have started to place double beds in one of the junior and senior dorms on campus.

Chris Moody, American University’s director of housing and dining services, said he saw the changes, both in the bed sizes and their new apartment housing, as positive ones. “Students do seem to be pleased with the double beds and prefer to have these beds over additional floor space inside their single bedrooms,” he said.

“The addition of a shared living room and kitchen area provides additional floor space, so very little if any square footage has been lost in the apartment by selecting double beds.”

But Karen Frank, Georgetown’s vice president for facilities and student housing, said that the university is not considering making the switch, so students will have to be comfortable with their twin beds.

“Double beds don’t seem to be an item for consideration at this time as I don’t believe that our residential rooms can accommodate the larger size,” Frank said. “I do not anticipate reducing occupancy to accommodate larger beds.”

Some students, however, said that they wished they could have a little more wiggle room at night.

“Double beds are double the fun. I would sleep better and feel more at home,” Clayton Kossl (MSB ’11) said.

But Leslie Applegate (COL ’11) said that she understood the university’s rationale.

“The room would be too crowded without that floor space. With the double beds the rooms would be crazy,” Applegate said.