Quakers Dominate Hoyas in 3-0 Shutout

The Georgetown field hockey team could not find its rhythm on Wednesday.

As the Hoyas took on the Pennsylvania Fighting Quakers on Kehoe Field, they proved they could fight, but their effort could not produce any goals. The Quakers took the match by a score of 3-0, handing Georgetown (3-13-0) its eighth shutout of the season.

Penn (10-4-0) found the net quickly when senior forward Liz Lorelli drove in an unassisted goal in the sixth minute, giving the Quakers a head start on the day’s scoring.

The Hoyas responded with strong defense for the rest of the first half, matching the Quakers drive for drive and proving a real threat.

Georgetown’s efforts to capitalize on scoring opportunities inside the circle were unsuccessful, however, and the Hoyas left the first half down 1-0.

Refreshed from the break, both teams ran back onto the field with renewed strength. Pennsylvania stepped up its effort in the second half, nearly doubling the number of shots forced on goal, to reach a total of 17 shots by the buzzer.

The Hoyas would not take defeat so easily, but their play was unsuccessful as they were unable to finish in the circle. Pennsylvania squeezed two more goals through Georgetown’s tough defense to bring the final score to 3-0.

The loss to Penn marked the Hoyas’ 13th loss of the season, tying last year’s dismal loss total.

Despite this shutout, the Hoyas would not walk off the field entirely beat. Senior captain Meghan Leahy is looking to the last two games to turn it around for Georgetown.

“We want to finish it off strong,” she said. “Especially the seniors.”

Their next chance to fight will come next Wednesday when they take on St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia. They return home for their final game of the season a week from Saturday to face Bucknell at noon.