Rat Sightings Increase Across Campus

Students around campus say that rats have been out in higher numbers this year, particularly near garbage areas between nighttime and the early hours of the morning.

Numerous students said they have been bothered by the unwelcome rodents. Ian Villeda (SFS’11) said that he often sees that at night, anywhere from New South to New North. Martha Koroshetz (COL’10) said she sees plenty of rats near Village C.”If you sit on the Village C patio at night, you will literally see 20 rats go past,” Koroshetz said.

Rats have been seen in particularly high numbers behind White-Gravenor Hall, where multiple dumpsters in the rear of the building seem to account for the concentrated rat habitation. Students also say they’ve noticed a high frequency of rats in areas near New South, Lauinger Library, Red Square, Copley Hall and Harbin Hall.”I haven’t seen any in past years, but I’ve seen some this year, mostly really late at night,” Jared Boddum (COL’09) said.

Several maintenance workers also said they’ve noticed the number of rats on campus increase. Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing, could not be reached for comment.

The growing rat problem is not limited to Georgetown’s campus. Several people reported seeing rats in the surrounding neighborhood in even larger numbers than on campus.”I would say that there are more rats off campus that on,” said allory Goodman (COL ¡_09).

At the Oct. 2 meeting of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission, representatives from the D.C. Departments of Health and Public Works spoke briefly on the area’s rat issues. An organization in partnership with the Georgetown Business Association is working toward addressing this problem by offering a phone number to call to report rats in Georgetown.

The issue of infestation on campus may run deeper than rats. Koroshetz, for instance, said that Henle Village residents have reported several roach and spider infestations.

Whatever the reason behind Georgetown’s pest problem, the reality is not sitting well with students.”I think we need to have an exterminator on campus, because I feel afraid,” Rick Kelly (SFS’11) said.