Repairs to Close Gaston for Months

Gaston Hall will close from December to February and scaffolding will cover parts of Healy Hall until April as part of renovations to Gaston’s interior and roof, university officials announced in a broadcast e-mail Friday.

Renovations to Gaston’s interior include new flooring, carpeting, seating and balcony rails, as well as improvements that will provide stage access to disabled students to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The interior repairs are expected to be completed by mid-February, at which point Gaston will reopen, according to the e-mail.

The construction of scaffolding on the north side and parts of the east side of Healy began on Monday to prepare for the replacement of Gaston’s roof.

Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing, said that the scaffolding on the building’s east facade, which faces Healy Lawn, will cover 10 percent of the front of the building.

Frank said that the renovations to the roof will take longer than interior renovations and should be complete by early April.

The two projects are the latest in a larger renovation of Healy Hall. Scaffolding was erected in August on Healy’s west facade, which faces Dahlgren Quad, to wash and re-point bricks and repair windows. The scaffold on the west facade will also be used to repair the roof above Gaston and will be removed when that project is completed in the spring, Frank said.

Frank also said that construction to the building’s east side will not distract Commencement exercises because it will be completed by early spring at the latest.

She stressed that the project will not be especially loud.

“It’s not going to be chiseling or anything like that,” she said. “There will be some hammering at times.”

Though the renovations to the exterior and interior of Healy have been under consideration for several years, Frank said that funding restraints have delayed their progress. She added that administrators would have preferred to undertake the projects during the summer, but said that organizational tasks forced the Healy renovations to be completed during the academic year.

Frank said that administrators chose the two-month period beginning in mid-December to renovate the interior of Gaston because it coincides with winter break and is generally a relatively inactive time for the auditorium.

“It was entirely based on when Gaston would be available,” Frank said about the decision to schedule the renovations.

Frank also said that renovations to Gaston’s interior will preserve its historical appearance. She said that the hall will retain the same type of carpeting and the Victorian-style ornate, black metal seats.

“The colors will be in keeping with the colors in the murals on the walls,” she said about the auditorium’s seats.

Other planned upgrades to the building’s interior include renovations to its’ electrical system, fourth-floor restrooms, attic flooring and lighting, according to the university Web site.

The renovations to Healy come amidst a flurry of other projects on campus. Construction on White Gravenor’s south facade, Lauinger Library and the Multi-Sport Facility are currently underway, while the new Royden B. Davis, S.J., Performing Arts Center was completed Saturday.