Report on Student Life Suggests Answers To Space, Funding Problems

A committee of Georgetown students presented a Progress Report on Student Life to administrators earlier this month, recommending ways the university can address perceived student space, funding and bureaucracy problems.

The progress report is a follow-up document to the 2000 Report on Student Life, which also suggested ways the university could tackle funding, space and bureaucracy problems.

While the report acknowledged the noticeable headway made in the past year regarding funding, the report insisted the statement be made official in writing, as it would serve as a concrete assurance to the student body.

According to the report, Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez has recommendations to the university, including that the administration establish a system that would allow alumni to donate money to specific student organizations instead of letting the university dictate how donations are distributed among all the organizations.

“There is a greater likelihood of receiving alumni donations if [the alumni] are aware or able to declare where their contribution goes,” the report said. “This also fosters a greater sense of student and alumni relations that would benefit the university.”

While no definite action has been taken yet to make the goal a reality, the Council of Deans said they would address the suggestion in early fall 2001, according to the report.

The report also provided recommendations for space, stressing the importance of efficiently using the space that will be opened as a result of the Southwest Quadrangle Project.

While university officials have said the New South Cafeteria will be used for student space, GUSA plans to establish a student task force to plan the use of the New South space. Officials have also assured students that gathering funds for the development of the space is a fundraising priority for the university.

“The committee was able to bring to the administration students’ most important concerns, which is pivotal in this time of change and major decision-making with the university. We got out point across, especially concerning the appropriate use of space in New South, which should not be used for any administrative office space, even for student affairs,” Committee Member Andreas Andrea (SFS ’03) said.

The report also addressed the fact that Darnall cafeteria is closed every morning and for 72 hours each weekend. “Either the Darnall cafeteria must be opened up on the weekends and mornings,” the report said, “or [it] should be made available by use for student activities and performing arts groups.”

Other space recommendations included building three floors above the newly expanded Leavey Bookstore to provide students with more office and meeting space, and constructing a permanent box office in the Leavey Center as part of the existing Information desk that would sell tickets for sporting events, concerts, student performances and lectures.

The report also addressed the issue of bureaucracy, recognizing that many students become discouraged by the university’s cumbersome “red tape,” and abandon involvement in clubs and organizations all together.

For this reason, the report suggested the creation of a pamphlet or Web page that would explain the functions of deans and administrators, enabling a student to quickly address his concerns by contacting the appropriate university official.

Additionally, the document reiterated the student body’s need for an all-inclusive One-Card that would combine printing, photocopying, laundry, Munch Money, identification and library services. While students have been pushing the initiative for several years, the implementation of the card has been repeatedly postponed.

The report additionally highlighted the university’s considerable progress in regards to funding.

The $150,000 accumulated from the Student Activities fee granted new primary funding for the Student Activities Commission, the Georgetown Program Board, the Performing Arts Advisory Council, Volunteer Public Services, the Media Board, the Advisory Board for Club Sports and the Student Association. Hoya Blue, InterHall and Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Services received supplemental funding from the fee as well.

Following the 2000 Report on Student Life, the Main Campus Planning Committee also granted student organizations with an additional $100,000 to make capital improvements. The resulting increase in the operating budgets of SAC, PAAC, GPB, VPS and the edia Board allowed the organizations to enhance their programs.

With a $33,250 increase in funds, SAC was able to purchase new technology equipment such as a digital camcorder and video editing equipment, and was able to establish a computer fund intended to replace computers every three years.

PAAC used its $15,000 allocation to purchase instruments in the Band and Orchestra and has established a Children’s Outreach program and an Improvisation workshop for the university’s Improv troupe.

VPS received a $25,000 increase in funds under the MCPC’s grant. The organization increased funding for its existing programs such as Spring Break in Appalachia and Habitat for Humanity, and expanded its programs to include other volunteer activities such as HOPE.

GPB used its $13,500 increase in funds to purchase projectors and accompanying lenses, a computer and a restored sound system. The grant also allowed the organization to allot more money to Georgetown Day.

The Media Board was granted $13,250, which it used to establish a three-year technology plan that will guarantee computer and equipment updates for each of its nine media organizations.