Rezin Digs Her Way to Record

Sophomore libero Tory Rezin says she is just like any other Georgetown student.

“I’m a normal girl,” she says. “Who likes to take naps.”

She is still unsure about what her major will be, but she is leaning toward English. One thing is for sure: She knows how to dig a volleyball. Rezin currently holds both the Georgetown records for digs in a match and for digs in a season. A player is credited with a dig when she prevents a spike from hitting the ground.  

On Sunday, she recorded 19 digs in the Hoyas’ season-finale victory in Chicago against DePaul University, breaking the season record by three digs. Rezin was in disbelief over the accomplishment.

“It feels great to have achieved that,” she said. “It didn’t set in until a bit after the match, but I still couldn’t believe I did it.” 

It was only fitting that Rezin broke Georgetown’s season digs record in her hometown of Chicago. She was able to celebrate the victory and her record with the people who have played a crucial role throughout her volleyball career – her family.

“It was great to have my family there to support me,” Rezin said. “My family has definitely supported me throughout the years with my volleyball career and they love watching me play.”   

Growing up right next to Chicago in Morris, Ill., Rezin started playing volleyball at a very young age. Her mother coached her throughout grade school and sparked her interest in the game. 

“Volleyball has always been a big part of my life,” Rezin said. “I started playing in third grade and continued to play through high school.”

In high school, she was a three-year letter winner and received multiple honors including All-Area co-MVP.  With her AAU squad, she won an 18-Elite national championship and was named an AAU All-American. 

Rezin was the workhorse for Georgetown’s defense all season. Not only did she break the season dig record, but she also set the single game record against Seton Hall on Sept. 26.  Even though the team lost, Rezin kept the Hoyas in the match, digging an astounding 37 balls.

“To break both the game and season record is a testament to how much work she has put in this season and how great of an athlete she is,” Head Coach Arlisa Williams said. 

Despite all of her success, Rezin did not allow her individual accomplishments to go to her head this fall.

“I didn’t think about the record the whole season,” she said. “It was only until the coaches told me a few games before I broke it.”

Rezin’s persistent demeanor has allowed her to surpass a record that has been in place for almost two decades, and Williams recognized the difficulty of Rezin’s accomplishment.  “Over the past 20 years a lot of great teams and players have come through this program, but none have been able to break the season record,” Williams said. “It was a very difficult record to break.”

The season digs record has stood since 1990 when Simone Kollman (SLL ’93) recorded 472 digs in one season.  Rezin bested the mark by three, digging a total of 475 balls on the season.   

Rezin’s gritty attitude, however, will not let her settle for the current record. 

“I am going to really try to break my own record next year,” Rezin said. “It will be my goal next year to break it.”

In only her second year, this self-proclaimed “normal” Hoya is bound for big things in the future.”