ROBBERY Female Student Robbed at Gunpoint In Burleith on Friday

A female Georgetown student was robbed at gunpoint around 3 a.m. at 37th and T Streets, N.W., according to a report filed with the Department of Public Safety Oct. 12th.

The suspect reportedly escaped with only a small amount of change.

The student wishes to remain unidentified according to William Tucker, director of DPS.

According to the report, as the student and suspect passed each other he threatened her with what appeared to be a gray automatic handgun.

He was described as a black male, about 5 feet 5 inches tall wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, black tennis shoes and a turtleneck pulled over his face.

The student apparently dropped her backpack after being asked where her wallet was. The suspect picked up the bag and ran down 37th St.

The student then proceeded to call after the suspect, saying that she needed a binder to study for a test the next day. The suspect reportedly returned, handed her the binder and asked her again where her wallet was. When she told him it was in the front zipper of her bag, he removed the contents and fled south.

According to Tucker, while crimes involving petty theft and robbery have occurred several times since the beginning of the semester, students do not have anything to be concerned about.

“Students don’t need to be worried, but they do need to be cautious,” he said.

He suggested students take simple precautions to prevent becoming victims of robberies.

“First, do not walk around by yourself at late and unusual hours of the night,” Tucker said. He reminded students that DPS does not patrol in the surrounding community beyond campus property.

“Second, take the [SafeRides] van services when they are running,” he said. Established to provide a safe means of transportation during late-night and early-morning hours for students living off campus, SafeRides is run by students who work for DPS.

“[SafeRides] has been utilized tremendously,” he added. During weekends, upwards of 100 rides are given a night, Tucker said.

The service runs until 2 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.

If you have any questions about off-campus safety, contact DPS at (202) 687-4343.