RUGBY Georgetown Gets First Win

Despite disappointing losses in their first three games of the fall season, the Georgetown club rugby team earned its first victory Saturday against Maryland, winning 30-20.

“We were pretty excited about it. We felt that there were a couple of teams that we couldn’t have beaten earlier in the season that we didn’t and this time everything really came together and we did,” captain Dan Williams said.

The young squad is led mostly by underclassmen, and they did their share of the scoring against the Terrapins. Freshmen Greg Suellentrop and Jake Ludwigson each contributed 10 points.

Suellentrop scored two tries, including the first of the game, to put the Hoyas up 5-0. Tries were also scored by sophomores Pat Pierce and Dan Hartman, while freshman Jake Ludwigson scored two penalty kicks (worth three points each) and two conversions (worth two points each).

“The team came together and played well behind our captain Dan Williams. We’re really happy with the win, and we look forward to more victories,” Pierce said.

The Hoyas have the opportunity to turn their season around and reach the .500 mark if they win their next and last two games against Penn State and Loyola. Penn State’s team has been traditionally strong, although they are only 2-3 so far this year.

“It will be a tough match,” Williams said.

The Hoyas face off against the Penn State Ruggers on Sunday, Oct. 21.