Rules Limit Alcohol Paraphernalia

Georgetown approved further restrictions on its alcohol policies over the summer, enacting rules that limit drinking paraphernalia in on-campus residences.

Included in the new alcohol policy, which was approved by Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson and takes effect this semester, is an effort to cut down on drinking games. Certain items will be prohibited, such as funnels and tables specifically designed for beer pong.

Olson also approved a policy limiting the use of empty alcohol bottles as decoration.

While this practice will be permitted in upper-class residence halls, first-year students will be limited to only “one or two” empty bottles in their rooms, Olson said.

GUSA President Ben Shaw (COL ’08) said he supported the policy on decorative bottles, because it prevents students in rooms with sinks from pouring alcohol down the drain before admitting resident assistants and claiming the empty bottles were decoration.

A letter outlining the finalized policies will be sent out to students early next week, and will be posted on the Office of Student Conduct Web site, Olson said.

The new changes are part of a larger administrative effort to reduce drinking in campus residences that began last year. In January, Olson approved a policy change reducing the number of kegs allowed at on-campus parties from two to one, and he approved in ay changes that reduce the guest limit and increase registration regulations at many parties. Both changes take effect this semester.

The changes “will allow for parties of a size that’s manageable and where the host can reasonably be expected to know who his or her guests are,” Olson said.

Shaw said that the new registration regulations will lead to a significant reduction in party regulation because it’s unrealistic to expect students to have parties planned several days in advance. While students previously didn’t have to register parties until 8 p.m. on the night of each party, they now must register parties online by Thursday at 10 a.m. Olson said that the former policy did not allow enough time for Residence Life staff and Department of Public Safety officers to be aware of what was happening around campus.

“If students feel that these policies are not grounded in reality, they’ll be less likely to register their parties, which will only exacerbate the problem,” Shaw said.

Olson said he is aware of this concern, and said the effectiveness of the new policies will be continually reassessed and modified if necessary.

“We are also aware of the critique that the new policy will force people off campus,” Olson said. “However, we believe that allowing a keg and parties on campus shows that this is not the case, and that we are creating a welcome place to socialize.”

“The policies strike a balance, encouraging fun parties while fostering a safe community,” Olson added.

Mia Curran (COL ’10) said she recognized the need for the new regulations. “I think it’s important to take measures to ensure student safety while drinking, but I don’t know if these regulations will really have that big of an effect on student conduct,” she said.

Guests will be limited to 25 in Alumni Square and Henle apartments, and 35 in Nevils, Village A, and townhouses. The new policy also limits the number of guests on Village A rooftops to 25 per apartment and 50 in townhouse backyards.

Attendance at information sessions will be required before students can register parties, a policy that will take effect Oct. 1.There will be 12 sessions in September and more throughout the year. “These sessions will serve both to make polices clear and give tools for hosting a safe and fun gathering,” Olson said.

A new policy regarding sanctions for repeat violations of the alcohol policy will also take effect and will include parental notification after two significant violations. A third violation is likely to result in suspension, although decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Misha Matalia (SFS ’08) said it would be interesting to see how the new policies will affect parties. “It’s definitely going to affect the social scene,” she said.