Russert Takes a Rest From Politics to Talk Baseball

“Without sports, we’d have to talk about politics,” an ESPN advertisement reads. As the distinguished host of NBC’s “Meet the Press” and a diehard baseball fan, Tim Russert enjoys the best of both worlds.

Russert shared life lessons learned from his father and his Jesuit education during his keynote speech at the First Pitch dinner Friday night in Leavey Center. The dinner was a fundraising event for Georgetown’s varsity baseball team.

The theme of Russert’s address centered around respect, discipline and accountability, and he emphasized the importance of teamwork.

“The man you’re going to be, you’re becoming right now,” Russert told the players.

“There is a world larger than yourself. What did the Jesuits teach you? Men and women for others,” Russert said.”That’s what you do on the baseball field. That’s what you do in the classroom.”

Russert shared many of his personal stories during his speech, especially the influence of his father, Tim Russert Sr., who enlisted in the military as a sophomore in high school to serve in World War II. When he settled down in South Buffalo, N.Y., the elder Russert worked two jobs to provide for his four children.

“I played a lot of baseball . and he could only make it on Sundays because he was working so much,” Russert said.

Russert said that as a child, he always looked forward to his birthday, when his father and his uncles would take a trip to Cleveland, Ohio, to see an Indians’ doubleheader.

“I never realized what a sacrifice that was,” Russert said.

Russert also shared his favorite “Yogisms” of Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Berra, who Russert described as the “philosopher-king of baseball.” In one story, Berra ordered a pizza, and when asked if he wanted it sliced into six or eight pieces, Berra responded, “six – I can’t eat eight!”

David Forst, assistant general manager for the Oakland Athletics, also gave a keynote speech, directed toward the members of the baseball team.

Forst discussed the impact of the best-selling book “Moneyball,” which described the unorthodox style of the Athletics’ front office and the new era of management and scouting in Major League Baseball.

“`Moneyball’ for us was the story of an organization that really functions like a team,” Forst said. “That, more than anything, was the lesson of `Moneyball.’ We’re just like any other company, except that our widgets are players.”

Mike Barnicle, a sports columnist for the Boston Herald and New York Daily News, served as the master of ceremonies. Barnicle also has a program on WTKK-FM radio in Boston and provides commentary for MSNBC.

Barnicle’s son Nick (COL ’07) is a catcher for Georgetown’s baseball team.

Barnicle praised legendary baseball player Mickey Vernon, the guest of honor. Vernon, a two-time American League batting champion, played professional baseball for 20 seasons between 1939 and 1960.

“In addition to being a wonderful gentleman, Mickey was a terrific baseball player,” Barnicle said.

The Diamond Club, the fundraising organization for the varsity baseball team, planned the First Pitch dinner. The evening also included a silent auction for baseball memorabilia.