Safety VP Leaving Later This Month

Three and a half years ago, public security at Georgetown needed a leader. Now, to the regret of the countless students and faculty with whom he has formed both personal and professional relationships, Vice President for University Safety David Morrell has decided it is time to move on.

Morrell, who came to Georgetown in 2003 as the inaugural leader of a newly created position to consolidate leadership of the Department of Public Safety, Safety and Environmental Management and Emergency Preparedness, will say good-bye to the Hilltop for good on March 30 to begin another job.

As he leaves Georgetown to pursue another career – he declined to comment on the specifics of his next job – orrell said that both the opportunity to reenter the world of security and the interaction with students have been among his biggest rewards while working at the university. Morrell served as chief administrative officer of the Transportation Security Administration before arriving at Georgetown four years ago, having previously served as head of security at the Smithsonian Institution and spent over 20 years in the Secret Service.

“Coming here gave me the opportunity to get back into direct involvement with safety and security,” Morrell said. “They had an outstanding retirement plan when I retired from the Secret Service. I get an annuity, so I have plenty of flexibility.”

Morrell said that he implemented a number of safety initiatives that he considers to be successful during his service at Georgetown, including the expansion of SafeRides, a shuttle service designed to lower the risk that students face when walking off campus late at night. Morrell also created the Student Safety Advisory Board, which he saw as necessary to gather student input on safety issues.

He attributes successful safety measures such as these to his interaction with students and faculty, which he said is the aspect of his job that he will miss the most.

“I think I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about the staff members who helped me accomplish all this,” he said. “I’m going to miss engaging the students. It’s very rewarding.”

Throughout his time at Georgetown, Morrell has seen a significant drop in assaults off campus and a strengthened relationship with the Metropolitan Police Department, as evidenced by its recent cooperation with SSAB to participate in an ongoing dialogue. Nevertheless, Morrell said that crime on the Hilltop could always be lower. Two students have been shot on or near campus since his term began. “It’s always a question of what could we have done differently [and] taking into consideration the level of resources,” he said.

Morrell continued on to note that the resilience of the close-knit Georgetown community has helped him in responding to these “hard times” to the best of his ability.

He added that the key to improved security is disseminating accurate safety information to the students. “The students are the customers,” he said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said that he has enjoyed working with Morrell and that his leadership will be missed.

“[Morrell] was also a valuable partner in working with the etropolitan Police Department and our neighbors,” Olson said. “He has taken the needs of all these stakeholders seriously and is a great listener.”

A highly visible senior administrator, Morrell has formed friendships with a number of students with whom he plans to keep in touch after he leaves Georgetown.

“Not many students know this, but Dave would ride the SafeRides shuttle at night,” Shannon Mullen (COL ’08), a member of SSAB, said. “He knows how to use humor and a good smile to make you feel incredibly comfortable.”

Morrell’s close communication with students and faculty did not go unnoticed by his colleagues.

“He was a champion for DPS and always supported us,” DPS Director Darryl Harrison said. “I think one of his biggest accomplishments was his outreach efforts to students.”

The students and faculty who know Morrell agreed that he orchestrates Georgetown’s safety programs with a degree of humility that they have come to associate with all his accomplishments.

“I’m not interested in any legacy. I just feel very fortunate to have been able to come here,” Morrell said. “If I fly under the radar, I feel like I’m doing a good job.”

In a statement from university spokesperson Julie Bataille, Senior Vice President Spiros Dimolitsas said that a search for a replacement is underway.

“I have begun a search for Dave’s successor and hope to recruit another outstanding senior official to fill this critical position,” Demolitsas said.