Sailing Into First

The conditions at last weekend’s Truxtun Umsted Intersectional Regatta were breezy. That was bad news for the Georgetown co-ed sailing team’s competitors.

Led by a dominant performance by senior Andrew Campbell, the Hoyas capitalized on the windy conditions and sailed their way to a first-place finish out of 20 teams at the regatta, hosted by the U.S. Naval Academy.

“We’ve really improved our weight training program. We’re working harder than ever before, which pays off in breezy conditions. If it’s breezy, then we’re going to be really quick,” Campbell said.

The Hoyas’ first-place finish was especially impressive considering the caliber of their competition.

“The Truxtun Umsted is the biggest regatta of the spring and the best teams are there,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said.

Out of the 19 other teams that competed in the regatta, 13 were ranked in the top 20 nationally. Since top-ranked Harvard finished seventh, Georgetown will move up to No. 1 in the next Sailing World College Rankings.

The regatta consisted of four divisions with 20 races in each division. The Hoyas finished first in the A division, as Campbell, along with his crew, senior Nick Deane, won eight races. Georgetown finished with a total of 60 points in the A division, 57 points ahead of second-place Tufts.

“Andrew proved himself to be the best sailor in college. He was basically unstoppable. He opened a lot of eyes of other coaches and sailors. It was an amazing performance,” Callahan said.

The Hoyas also received a solid performance from junior Langdon itchell, who finished fourth in the D division. Mitchell clinched the overall win for Georgetown with a first-place finish and a seventh-place finish in his final two races.

“I wanted to sail two consistent races, but at the same time I tried to pay attention to where Tufts was because I knew our scores were close,” Mitchell said.

Campbell said that Georgetown’s first-place finish in the regatta was truly a team effort.

“You have to have a deep squad to win a regatta like this. One division can’t win it alone. The whole team held it together all weekend, which really bodes well for nationals,” Campbell said.

The Georgetown women’s sailing team also competed last weekend, finishing third out of 14 teams at the St. Mary’s Women’s Intersectional, hosted by St. Mary’s College of aryland.

The Hoyas were led by senior Derby Anderson and her crew, senior Jackie Schmitz, who won seven of 14 races to finish first in the B division.

According to Callahan, Georgetown’s third-place finish was impressive because the competition was strong. Ten of the 13 other teams in the regatta were ranked in the top 15 nationally. Georgetown finished ahead of No. 1 Navy and No. 2 Yale, which finished fifth and sixth in the regatta, respectively.

The Georgetown women’s team, currently ranked ninth in the country, will likely move into the top five in the next Sailing World College Rankings, according to Campbell.

The Hoyas will next compete in the Lynn Marchiando Team Race and the Old Dominion Team Race this weekend.