Schroeder, Dusseau Earn Player of the Week

LAX HONORS Schroeder, Dusseau Earn Player of the Week By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown men’s lacrosse senior goalkeeper Scott Schroeder was named AllLacrosse America Player of the week, senior midfielder/attack Steve Dusseau got Division I Warrior/Inside Lacrosse National Player of the Week honors for the second time this season and junior long stick midfielder Kyle Sweeney was named ECAC Defensive Player of the Week.

Schroeder’s 64.1 save percentage is second in the nation and his 7.5 goals against average is good for sixth. Last week, he got two more wins for the undefeated Hoyas, taking down Bucknell 13-7 and No. 20 Brown 16-6. Schroeder had 12 saves against Bucknell and seven against Brown. He also earned the first assist of his career against the Bears.

Dusseau’s career-high nine goals against Bucknell are the most an NCAA player has scored in a game so far this season. He had three against Brown and now leads the nation in points per game with 5.13 and goals per game with 4.13. It is the second time he has been named Division I Warrior/Inside Lacrosse National Player of the Week this season.

Against Bucknell, All-American candidate Sweeney led the Hoya defense with six groundballs. Against Brown, he held the Bears’ leading scorer, Jimmy Mormile, scoreless for the game, and also had two assists and a goal of his own. It is the fourth time this season the ECAC Defensive Player of the Week has been a Hoya.

The No. 4 Hoyas (8-0) are off to their best start in program history. They face Hobart tomorrow at 1 p.m.

Football Recruits

The Georgetown football team has announced its 2002 recruiting class, consisting of 30 new players. Head Coach Bob Benson signed 14 defensive players and 16 offensive players.

Competing for time on defense will be six new defensive backs Joseph Basile (Sten Island, N.Y./Monsignor Farrell), Sheldon Epps (Laurel Springs, N.J./Bishop Farrell), Brian Golper (Aracadia, Calif./Arcadia), Ronald Lasasso (Fort Lee, N.J./St. Joseph), Jason ilazzotto (Dallas, Texas/Jesuit) and Dan Romanoff (Gaithersburg, d./Wooton) five defensive linemen Jason Abrams (Closter, N.J./St. Joseph), Joe Kuhns (New York, N.Y./Riverdale Country), Robert LaHayne (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg), Todd Marco (Wyckoff, N.J./Bergen Catholic) and Paul Rowssy (Dallas, Texas/Highland Park)) and three linebackers (Matt Calhoun (Toledo, Ohio/Whitmer), Mehdi Hassan (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons) and Micael Ononibaku (Amherst, ass./Amherst)). Offensively, Benson has added five running backs (Jesse Paterson (Elkins Park, Pa./Cheltenham), Chris Peaks (Silver Spring, Md./Good Counsel), Kim Sarin (Roseville, inn./Cretin-Derham), Marcus Slayton (Cleveland, Ohio/Benedictine) and Hanif Suluki (Montclair, N.J./Montclair), two quarterbacks (Maruice Banks (Clinton, MD./Gwyn Park) and Keith Schroeder (Summit, N.J./Summit)), four offensive linemen (Kevin Dunn (Everett, Mass./Arlington Catholic), James Elliott (Ridge, N.J./Ridge), Jeff Robinson (Summit, N.J./Delbarton) and Craig Warznak (Pittsburgh, Pa./Baldwin) and two tight ends (Glenn Castergine (Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J./Northern Highlands) and Reyn Garnett (Mt. Kisco, N.Y./Deerfield)).

Nine of the future Hoyas are from New Jersey.

Georgetown joined the Patriot League in 2001 and worked its way to a 3-7 record. They will begin the 2002 season against Patriot League Champion Lehigh on Sept. 7.