Scoring Woes Hinder GU

After opening the season with a 5-2 win over George Washington in the D.C. College Cup, the Hoyas struggled , winning only three Big East games in the regular season, including a 1-0 overtime victory against Marquette to finish the 2006 campaign.

Georgetown compiled an overall record of 6-11-0 and went 3-8-0 in Big East play to finish seventh out of eight teams in the Big East Blue Division.

The Hoyas failed to qualify for the Big East tournament for the first time since 2003.

“I feel the potential of this team far exceeded what the actual results were,” first-year Head Coach Brian Wiese said.

Georgetown was significantly more successful in non-league play than in Big East competition. While the Hoyas outscored their non-league opponents 16-9 (helped by a 5-0 trouncing of Howard on Oct. 3), they notched only eight goals in Big East games to their opponents’ 22.

Georgetown fell to the top three teams in the Big East Blue Division – No. 4 West Virginia, No. 14 Connecticut and No. 6 Notre Dame – by a combined score of 9-2.

“I hate to call a whole season a disappointment, but it was,” junior forward Mike Glaccum said. “There were a few times when I think we could have given a better effort as a team. As a junior, I feel bad for the seniors. We had the talent to send them out on a good note, but sometimes we didn’t give it our all, and before you know it, the season’s over.”

Senior forward and co-captain Ricky Schramm took care of most of the scoring for the Hoyas. His 10 goals on the season ranked third in the Big East, and his 39 career goals tied him for third on Georgetown’s all-time list.

Glaccum and senior midfielder Daniel Grasso both scored three goals for the Hoyas.

Georgetown also received significant contributions from freshmen this season. Midfielder Scott Larrabee and forward Justin Kondos each scored a goal and appeared in all 17 games. Mark Zeman started 13 games at midfielder, while defender Len Coleman led the freshman class with 14 starts.

Five seniors finished their Georgetown careers: Schramm, Grasso, goalkeeper Andrew Keszler, midfielder Ben Jefferson-Dow, and co-captain and defender Tim Convey.

“The seniors all bring something different,” Wiese said. “Ricky [Schramm] brings a nose for the goal unlike I’ve ever seen. Daniel Grasso brings a real flair and creativity and vision in the attacking third. [Jefferson-Dow] wears his heart on his sleeve and would give his left leg for the team and the school.

“Tim Convey is in a lot of ways our heart and our soul – he led the team by example, and we’ll miss his character. And we’ll miss big [Keszler] in goal as a steady presence back there.”

Weise said that he hopes Georgetown’s season-ending victory against Marquette will help motivate the Hoyas for next season.

“It’s obviously satisfying to end our season on a win, to send our seniors away with a good feeling and hopefully set the tone going into the off-season training,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of work to do, and sometimes it’s a little easier when you end up on the right side of your last game.”