Scruggs Declared Ineligible

Georgetown University declared senior forward Lee Scruggs academically ineligible for the fall semester. Scruggs will miss at least the Hoyas’ first nine games of the 2000-2001 season, men’s basketball Head Coach Craig Esherick announced Wednesday.

“Lee allowed himself to be distracted from academic concerns last spring by both his late season play and by the possibilities of the NBA draft,” Esherick said in a press release. “This was reflected in his schoolwork.”

Scruggs arrived at Georgetown in December 1999, a semester later than expected, because he did not graduate on time from Daytona Beach Community College. Scruggs appeared in every game after his enrollment at Georgetown, starting in 16 contests and averaging 10.7 points and 5.1 rebounds.

Last March, the 6-foot-11 forward received All-Big East Tournament Team honors after averaging 20 points per game in the Big East Tournament. Last week, he was voted to the preseason All-Big East second team by conference coaches.

While he will not be permitted to dress for games or travel with the team, Scruggs will continue to practice with the team throughout the semester.

The ineligibility was reportedly a result of Scruggs’ academic performance primarily last spring and during the summer session, Esherick explained. The delay of the announcement was the result of some uncertainty.

“I did not want to make an announcement at the hint of trouble,” he said.” I had to wait until I felt very comfortable that every appeal was exhausted before I made the announcement because I wanted to be certain that it was accurate to save Lee some embarrassment.”

According to Esherick, Scruggs’ ineligibility is primarily a result of Georgetown rules, but is also an implementation of similar NCAA rules.

“This school has standards, and they’re high standards.” Esherick said. “If people don’t meet those standards, they’re not going to be eligible. And all of that was fully explained to Lee many times – very many times until I got blue in the face. It’s unfortunate, but he had ample warning.”

NCAA guidelines state that the academic requirements to compete after freshman year include two things. First, a student must be in good academic standing. The characteristics of “good academic standing” are determined by each Division I school by the appropriate academic office. Second, the student-athlete must take classes towards a college degree and complete 24 semester hours per year to maintain eligibility.

It is also required that a student-athlete choose a major by the beginning of junior year and choose classes within that program. In addition, progress towards a degree must be shown.

To remain eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics, a student must meet certain standards each year. A student-athlete must meet 25 percent of his degree requirements by junior year and 50 percent by senior year.

According to Georgetown Registrar John Q. Pierce, a student is put on probation if he or she receives a grade point average below 2.0 or fails a class. If the student fails to meet standards over the following semester, suspension or dismissal is put under consideration by a committee, which reviews the student’s case before making a decision. It is at the committee’s discretion what those standards will be.

For now, Esherick is not too concerned about the fate of Georgetown’s season.

“I have the utmost confidence in all of the people that can play his position. I think all of them will be able to fill in and fill in very well,” he said.

As for who will take Scruggs’ place on the court, Esherick is still unsure. He will likely start either sophomore forward Courtland Freeman or freshman forward Mike Sweetney. He also looks to fit in sophomore Victor Samnick at power forward.

“Victor played a lot of small forward last year, but he can play power forward too,” Esherick said.

Esherick said he is optimistic that Scruggs will gain eligibility for the second semester.

“I’ve spoken with Lee at length and I believe he has recommitted himself to concentrating on his scholastic responsibilities,” he said in the release. “I feel confident he will be back in good academic standing by the end of the semester.”

Accoring to Esherick, the earliest Scruggs will return is Dec. 22, when the Hoyas are at home against Maryland-Eastern Shore. Georgetown faces the U.S. Army-Fort Hood in an exhibition game tonight at 7 p.m. in McDonough Gymnasium, and opens the regular season against Bethune-Cookman on Nov. 17 at 8 p.m. in McDonough.