Season Closing With Big Losses

This season has spiraled swiftly downhill for Georgetown. In the final weekend of the regular season, the Hoyas recorded two of their worst losses of the season, falling 10-2 against Stanford and 9-0 to Louisville.

“It was a tough weekend for us,” Interim Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said, “We came up against two really good teams, and they really got the best of us.”

The Hoyas have now lost eight games in a row and with one only Big East game remaining, have been eliminated from postseason play.

Georgetown (2-14, 0-5) arrived in Louisville, Ky., and faced off on Saturday against non-league opponent Stanford (8-5) for a break from Big East play. The game was anything but a break as the Cardinal ruthlessly dismantled the Hoyas in an offensive showcase.

Stanford scored first when sophomore forward Rachel Mozenter put an unassisted effort in the back of the net in the fourth minute. The second goal followed four minutes later when Stanford’s freshman midfielder Xanthe Travlos took a penalty corner.

The Hoyas still had hope when top-scorer junior forward Maggie Farrand got a goal back in the 10th minute helped by a penalty corner assist from senior defender Lauren Sheets.

“Penalty corners are still something we’ve capitalized on,” Marsh said. “It’s definitely one of our strong points.”

But that was the Hoyas’ lone goal in the first half. The Cardinal was not finished, however, blasting three more in quick succession to take a 5-1 lead.

Hoyas junior keeper Deirdre Crovo pulled off 10 saves, while her counterpart senior goalkeeper Madison Bell spent most of the match watching, making just one save.

Nine minutes into the second period, sophomore forward Marlana Shile broke away at the 25-yard line and took a long shot to take the score to 6-1. Braun’s pair of assists in the first half was complemented by a 53rd minute solo goal. Senior midfielder Jess Zutz laid an inch-perfect pass from the top of the circle for sophomore forward Midori Uehara, who tapped it in for the Cardinal’s eighth goal of the night.

Georgetown fought back in the 60th minute when Farrand’s pass found the stick of sophomore forward Lindsay Moramarco, who put it past the keeper to take the score to 8-2. The Hoyas’ celebrations were short-lived, as Cardinal junior defender Bailey Richardson scored two unassisted goals in the space of five minutes, taking the final score well out of the Hoyas’ reach to 10-2.

As if one lopsided defeat was not enough, the Hoyas suffered another thrashing by Big East foe Louisville the very next day.

“Stanford and Louisville had really good forwards,” arsh said, “and they put a lot of pressure on our defense, and that was an area where we suffered.”

Louisville’s senior midfielder Janelle Avila started things off in the 12th minute with an unassisted long-range goal, putting the Cardinals in the lead early on. The second goal came two minutes later when a rebound off a shot by senior forward Allison Maffitt fell to freshman midfielder Nicole Youman, who put it past the keeper to take the score to 2-0. Lauren Schaffer’s 19th minute shot was similarly off a Maffitt rebound. At 26 minutes, the Hoyas trailed 4-0 due to a solo goal by senior forward Missy Briery.

Maffitt, whose rebounded shots had already created two goals, put in three more assists: The first one helped Avila in the 38th minute, while the next two fell to senior forward Casey Diener in the 39th and 47th minutes, taking the score to 7-0.

The Cardinals tallied two more goals in the next 15 minutes, but at that point, the game was long over.

Georgetown plays its last game of the year Friday at home against Rutgers (7-10, 0-5). Something will have to give in the meeting of the winless teams, neither of which will make the Big East tournament.

“It’s our last home game and it’s senior night, so the girls are all really passionate about playing well and winning,” Marsh said. “They want to get back up there and win. Some of the girls played Rutgers last year, and this will be like a revenge game for them.”

Game time is 4 p.m. in College Park, Md.