Second Safety Survey Yields Similar Responses

Results of the second-annual student safety survey, released earlier this week by the Student Safety Advisory Board, showed that while most students felt secure on campus, they would like to see more security in several areas.

Over 85 percent of the 1,260 students surveyed in April responded that they feel either “extremely safe” or “fairly safe” at Georgetown. That figure was down 9 percent from last year’s survey.

Although 97 percent of students surveyed said that they feel safe in on-campus dorms, many students reported feeling least safe around LXR Hall, Village A and St. Mary’s Hall. Around LXR, approximately 30 percent of respondents did not feel at least “fairly safe.” The area of Prospect Street next to Village A was also one of the lowest rated areas in last year’s survey.

Because of last year’s requests for better lighting, the SSAB installed lampposts on Prospect Street and around St. ary’s Hall.

Dave Morrell, vice president for university safety, said that the response to the new lights has been “especially positive.”

Morrell added that in response to the survey, the SSAB is forming a partnership with students, administrators, the Department of Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department to increase police patrols off campus and improve relations between students and police officers.

“The SSAB has communicated their intentions to the Second District and received an affirmative response,” Morrell said.

In the survey, students overwhelmingly asked for a higher number of DPS officers, especially off campus, and for more lighting on and off campus, according to a statement from the SSAB.

Morrell said that the SSAB, in collaboration with DPS, has created a form available online asking for student input on how to improve relations with DPS officers. A drop-off box will be positioned in Lauinger Library for these forms.

“The survey was created with the intention of recognizing areas of improvement,” Shannon Mullen (COL ’08), a member of the SSAB, said. “With the results, we have formulated a plan, and now, with the guidance and support of university administrators, especially Dave Morrell, the SSAB is working to implement the improvements.”

Eighty-five percent of students gave SafeRides a positive assessment, an 18 percentage point boost from last year. In December, the university added SafeRides routes going through West Georgetown and Burleith.

The survey also found that 98 percent of respondents found Lauinger Library to be at least “fairly safe” during the evening, but only 80 percent feel as safe between 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.