Sen. Durbin Supports GLBT Students’ Efforts

U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) (SFS ’66, LAW ’69) has submitted a letter to University President John J. DeGioia in response to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students’ attempts to establish a resource center at Georgetown.

In the letter, Durbin expresses his disapproval of discrimination against minorities. “Whether it is based on a person’s race, religion, gender, disability, color, national origin or sexual orientation, I am opposed to discrimination,” he said.

GUPride co-president Joe McFadden (COL ’02) said that he was prompted to contact Durbin via e-mail in late November after his perception that inadequate progress was made regarding the issue.

“Joe got together with [supporters] and we decided that contacting Georgetown alumni would be a good way to demonstrate support through alumni letters,” GLBT student Danielle DeCerbo (COL ’03) said.

A committee, which includes students and university staff, has been meeting since June to address issues raised in a report drafted by GLBT students. Presented to Vice President for Student Affairs Juan Gonzalez, the report said that “current university resources for GLBT students are woefully inadequate.” A resource center would provide GLBT students with a comfortable atmosphere to be themselves, according to supporters.

In his letter to DeGioia, Durbin also asked to be kept informed on the committee’s progress. “I would appreciate an update on this situation, including the status of the recommendations made by the committee formed by the Vice President for Student Affairs,” he wrote.

Durbin sent a letter to McFadden as well, offering his support. “Fair and equal treatment of all Americans is a cornerstone of our society and our political system,” the letter said. He included his endorsement of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the hate crimes bill as well. McFadden said the results of the committee’s last meeting on Dec. 11 are what primarily encouraged him to reach out to alumni. According to GLBT students, university administration said that the university’s Catholic identity was not holding the process back, as was previously asserted, but rather a number of “outside pressures.” According to McFadden, GLBT students feel this is unacceptable.

“If the university is going to be influenced by outside pressures, then we will be bringing in our pressures as well,” he said.

Committee member and Director of Student Programs Mary K. Schneider, however, did not believe that external pressures were holding back the process.

“I believe that all parties are being very intentional and focused on the conversation, and that we are committed to continuing them,” she said.

Associate Roman Catholic Chaplain and committee member Barbara Humphrey McCrabb added that “the Dec. 11 meeting was a continuation of conversations that have been occurring throughout the semester. Dr. Gonzalez agreed to reply to the proposal the second or third week of January.”

Still, GLBT students are unsatisfied by the university administration’s responses. According to McFadden, Gonzalez has said he will not meet with them until February.

According to Assistant Vice President for Communications Julie Greene Bataille, the President’s Office has not yet received the letter via mail but the Office of Federal Relations has contacted the senator’s office to obtain a copy. “The president has not had the opportunity to see or respond directly to this letter but I can tell you that President DeGioia has already asked Dr. Gonzalez to review this issue, which he is carefully doing.”

GLBT students said that Durbin’s response indicated a step in the right direction. “Senator Durbin’s letter is a good example of what is to come,” Rob Anderson (COL ’05) said. “Hopefully support will continue in the form of letters by alumni and other influential people.”

According to DeCerbo, GLBT students plan to present their case during GAAP weekends this spring in Red Square through visible activism.