Seton Hall Shoots Past Georgetown

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL Seton Hall Shoots Past Georgetown Hoyas Can’t Handle Pirates By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Forwards Rebekkah Brunson and Nok Duany crowd Seton Hall’s Susan Murray. The Hoyas lost 64-45.

The Georgetown women’s basketball team was simply out-played by Seton Hall Wednesday night. Neither team gave performances typical of their respective seasons, as the Hoyas (11-9, 3-6 Big East) ended a two-game winning streak in the 64-45 loss.

“They kicked our butts,” Head Coach Pat Knapp said.

Seton Hall made five of 12 three-pointers and shot 45 percent from the floor. The Hoyas couldn’t even come close to those marks, let alone their season averages. They shot just 29 percent for the game and were 1-for-10 from beyond the arc.

Thirty-eight of the Pirates’ 64 points came from guards Cecilia Lindqvist and Melissa Langelier, who were both unstoppable from downtown. Lindqvist was 4-for-9, and Langelier was 6-for-9. eanwhile, the Pirates’ leading scorer and rebounder, sophomore forward Charlene Thomas, had no points.

“Their guards totally outplayed us,” Knapp said.

Hoya freshman point guard Mary Lisicky, who is fifth in the Big East in three-point percentage, was 0-for-5 from three-point range and 0-for-9 from the field. The Hoyas’ leading scorer was senior guard Lesley Walker who scored 18.

“We didn’t give our guards any help off screens,” Knapp said.

Walker was the driving force behind the Hoyas’ only real bright spot of the contest – a 13-4 run in the middle of the second half. She made four free-throws and a three-pointer during the four-minute stretch.

“I think that run came on some very determined man-to-man defense. It was good to see that,” Knapp said.

Rebekkah Brunson played her third game since being out with a stress fracture in her lower leg. She played 32 minutes but did not start. She finished the game with 10 points on 4-for-13 shooting and led the team with nine rebounds.

“I think Becky was very frustrated tonight. I think the whole process of coming back not only has to do with the physical, but has to do with timing – being in sync with the plays, being in sync with her teammates, and there’s some of that that we still have to work on,” Knapp said.

Brunson’s fellow teammates failed to pick up the slack as well as they had done when she was injured. Junior forward Nok Duany scored seven points and was limited by foul trouble – she fouled out with six and a half minutes remaining. Junior forward Zsuzsanna Horvath was 2-for-9 from the floor.

“We didn’t screen well tonight,” Knapp said. “We were way too hurried and frustrated inside. I think our post players’ shooting percentage shows that.”

The Hoyas will attempt to get back on track, as they travel to Chestnut Hill, Ma. to face No. 20 Boston College tomorrow. The Eagles are 16-4 overall and 7-2 in the Big East and are coming off a 76-51 win over West Virginia, in which freshman guard Clare Droesch hit 5-of-5 three-pointers.

Tip off against the Eagles is at 2 p.m.