Sexual Assault on Prospect May Be Linked to Others Near GU

A female student living in the 3600 block of Prospect Street N.W. awoke early in the morning on Jan. 9 to see a man in her residence, according to a Public Safety Announcement released by the Department of Public Safety Saturday.

The PSA states that the suspect placed a blanket on the student at 3 a.m. before leaving the residence.

According to an e-mail sent out to the Burleith community from Lieutenant Michelle Milam of the Metropolitan Police Department, “the victim reported that the suspect entered the residence through an unlocked door. The suspect went upstairs and entered the victim’s bedroom. When the victim awoke, the suspect fled the scene,” she said.

According to the DPS report, there were no signs of forced entry. The student said that she had not locked the rear residence of the home. The DPS report describes the suspect as being a 6-foot-4 white male, weighing 215 pounds, unshaven with cropped hair.

ilam added that the suspect is between 18 and 30 years of age in the MPD e-mail.

This incident follows several similar sexual assaults in the Georgetown area in the past year.

In September 2008, the MPD stated in a press release that it believed several similar sexual assaults in the Second District throughout the year “may be related.”

In five instances, from January through September of 2008, the MPD observed that a male suspect awoke a female resident late at night and either attempted to or succeeded in sexually assaulting the victim.

The MPD described the suspect in those instances as an approximately six-feet-tall Hispanic or white male of medium build wearing dark pants and a collared shirt.

ilam said in the e-mail that the Jan. 9 incident is currently under investigation by the Second District Detectives Unit. According to the detectives unit, no official links between this case and the other sexual assaults have yet been made.

Keep Checking on www.TheHoya.com for more updates on this story.