Shortage of Flu Vaccine Prompts Resupply

Student Health Center officials were forced to cancel two influenza vaccination clinics this week after delays by Georgetown’s primary flu vaccine distributor.

A partial shipment of the vaccine arrived yesterday morning from the distributor, FFF Enterprises, allowing the health center to hold a scheduled clinic next Thursday.

FFF Enterprises cited ongoing quality control testing by Chiron, the manufacturer of the vaccine, as the reason for the delays.

“Our original plan to ship each customer a partial order in October will be pushed into the early days or possibly the early weeks of November, depending on Chiron’s ability to ship and release product to us,” FFF Enterprises announced Monday in a press release.

Yesterday’s vaccine shipment contained about 300 doses, which will be sufficient for Thursday’s clinic, James Marsh, SHC medical director, said.

He added that the health center maintains an adequate supply of vaccine for high risk individuals, including those with asthma and other chronic illnesses.

The SHC faced similar problems last year when the United States experienced a shortage of the vaccine.

To prevent a shortage this year, the health center ordered additional vaccinations from a second manufacturer, Sanofi-Aventis, Inc., Marsh said.

“We tried to split our order, not having much certainty that Chiron would deliver,” he said.

Marsh said that the SHC hopes to receive more vaccines in the coming days for the five remaining clinics scheduled in November. Officials, however, have not received confirmation of delivery dates or shipment quantities from either FFF Enterprises or the vaccine manufacturers.

“We’re following it day by day,” Marsh said.

Marsh also noted that large clinics such as CVS and Giant Food supermarkets purchase much larger volumes of vaccine, and may be given preference in distribution over smaller clinics such as Georgetown’s health center.

“There are many other schools in the same boat as we are,” Marsh said, adding that George Washington University and the University of Maryland are facing similar problems.

Marsh said that although vaccination is the most effective way to avoid the flu, individuals who do not receive the vaccine can help prevent the virus from spreading.

“It sounds simple, but it’s hand-washing and keeping your germs to yourself,” Marsh said.

The flu season can last from October to May, but it is best to receive the vaccine annually in October or November, according to the Center for Disease Control’s Web site.

“We have a window of time where we can vaccinate students before the holiday breaks. As soon as we [receive shipments] we will communicate that as quickly as we can,” Marsh said.