Shorthanded Hoyas Have Impressive Finish

There’s nothing like strong performance at a season opener to reassure a team of its potential.

At the Potomac Relays held at American University last Friday, the Hoyas confirmed to both Head Coach Bethany Bower and its opponents that it will be a formidable competitor this winter.

Unlike at any of the other meets slated for this season, the swimmers competed in several events that are unique to this meet Bower said.

“The team needs to stress relays because they can jumpstart any meet,” Bower said. As a result, the team’s performance at the meet helped gauge its strength for the upcoming season.

The men earned second place after competing against American, George Washington, George Mason and Mary Washington. The women took third place in a field of six teams in what Bower said was one of its best finishes ever at this meet. Those teams are traditionally stiff competition, and although the Hoya women have bested the Eagles the past two years, the men had not done so in two seasons.

Freshmen James Livolsi and Brian Koh won the 100-yard freestyle relay more than seven seconds ahead of second place George Washington with a time of 9:54.50. Sophomore co-captains David Ballinger and sophomore Goran Bistric, as well as freshmen Wes Going and Eric Mooney placed second in the 200-yd freestyle relay with a time of 1:30.09, less than three seconds behind American. Going and sophomore co-captain Daniel Robinson earned a second-place finish with Livolsi and Koh in the 800-yd freestyle relay. Livolsi and Going also swam to second place with sophomore Goran Bistric in the 300-yd backstroke relay, and Bistric took second place honors with Ballinger and freshman John Deppe in the 300-yd butterfly event with a time of 2:45.28.

“It was an all-around success. Everybody gave a tremendous effort,” Bower said. Additionally, the men’s team, which is only 12 swimmers deep, had to compete in more events than their opponents with less rest.

In the women’s competition, freshmen Laura Stark, Emma Porteus, Margaret Kimball and Lindsay Vickeroy earned a third-place finish in the 800-yd freestyle relay and senior tri-captain Laura Sytnyk, sophomore Katelyn O’Connor and freshman Laura Alito finished third in the 300-yd butterfly event.

It was not as if the Hoyas lacked individual achievements. Freshman Laura Alito qualified for the Big East championships from her relay leadoff in the 100-yd butterfly and the 50-yd freestyle events. Freshman Laura Stark qualified in the 200-yd freestyle and 100-yd breaststroke events for the Big East championships. Competing against American on the diving board, junior Katie Oldham took first place in the 1-meter and 3m events.

Despite the Hoyas’ superb efforts, the Colonials and Patriots had team efforts that are difficult for the Hoyas to match up to over the long season.

“George Washington and Mason give scholarships,” Bower said, “That puts them in a different level of Division I.”

Georgetown’s first dual-meet will be at 1 p.m. on Saturday against cross-town rival George Washington at McCarthy Pool.