Single Beer Sales Now Banned in Ward 2

Starting next week, Georgetown students and residents will no longer be able to buy single beers near campus.

The D.C. Council voted last week to expand the ban on the sale of individual beers, malt liquors and ales in liquor stores to include Georgetown and Foggy Bottom, as well as other neighborhoods in the District.

The provision was already in place in Wards 4, 7 and 8, but last week’s vote expanded it to include Wards 1, 2 – which includes Georgetown – and 6.

During the first six months, when the ban was in place in the H Street area, MPD reported a marked decrease in disorderly conduct and public urination. They also found proof that the ban has been successful in curbing littering, loitering and public misdemeanors, according to D.C. Councilmember Tommy Wells’ (D-Ward 6)website.

“From what we hear from anecdotal evidence, trash cans are no longer used as public restrooms,” said Charles Allen, Wells’ chief of staff. “There has also been an increase in the quality of life.”

While councilmembers said the ban was intended to reduce drunkenness, many students question the effectiveness of the move.

Shreyas Patil (MSB ’09) pointed out that many students usually buy bulk in cases or in kegs. As Virginia has not passed a single beer ban, students will also have the option of walking across the Key Bridge to Rosslyn when they want to purchase single beers.

While the ban will go into effect this Sunday, individual advisory neighborhood councils do have the power to grant exemptions to individual retailers on a case-by-case basis, provided there is support from the community.

“This is a way to put power back into the hands of the neighborhood,” Allen said.

Jody Kurash, co-owner of Dixie Liquor, said she disagrees with the council’s decision and plans to seek an exemption.

any people from the hotels and embassies often come to local liquor stores to purchase high-end beer, Kurash said.

“We built a big market on Belgian beer,” said Kurash, showing a cooler full of single Chimay Ale, Delirium and other European beers that range in price from $8 to $12 per bottle.

“I’d like to continue selling these high-end import products,” she said.

Single beers may still be sold in Ward 3, the only ward in the District that has not implemented a ban. Ward 3 includes the Friendship Heights, Glover Park and Tenleytown neighborhoods, as well as American University.

– Aileen Cruz contributed to this report.