Some Hope GU-GW Rivalry Will Return

It’s been 24 years since Georgetown and George Washington squared off in a men’s college basketball game, but city councilman Jack Evans has proposed reestablishing the rivalry with an annual Ward 2 championship game.

Students from both campuses, however, seem to disagree about the merits of such a matchup.

“GW and Georgetown have the potential for a very fun and engaging rivalry,” GWU freshman Victor Danau said.

Danau is familiar with rivalries – he and two friends came up with the idea to sell “F–k Georgetown” shirts at George Washington earlier this year.

“We have what most schools would die for in college competition,” Danau said, citing the universities’ close proximity, academics and similar names.

“Above all,” he added, “we both have huge egos and superiority complexes.”

Michael Segner (COL ’08), personnel officer for Hoya Blue, disagreed and said that the competition is a “pathetic and one-sided rivalry” stemming from the fact that many students at George Washington were wait-listed at Georgetown.

“GW has had a nicer run so far,” Segner said. “However, we barely acknowledge they exist, let alone care if we play them.”

Credit for the proposal belongs to Mark Plotkin, a George Washington alumnus and political radio talk show host who told The Washington Post last month that he thought of the idea after running into Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III at Cafe Deluxe in December 2005.

Though the teams have not played in recent years, Georgetown and George Washington did play each other on a regular basis between 1918 and 1982.

According to Plotkin, when he asked Thompson why the two teams had not played, Thompson laughed and said, “They won’t play us.”

Plotkin contacted Evans to rally support to make a Georgetown-George Washington game an annual event. The councilman’s district, Ward 2, includes both universities and CI Center.

Evans sent letters to Georgetown University President John J. DeGioia and GWU President Stephen Trachtenberg. Trachtenberg has responded, but DeGioia hasn’t.

“We got GW on board, but we’re trying to get Georgetown on board,” Sean Metcalf, director of communications for Jack Evans, said.

In fact, Trachtenberg has emerged as one of the proposal’s biggest supporters.

“I’m all in favor of it,” Trachtenberg said. “I’ve been saying it publicly, and I’ve been saying it privately to Jack DeGioia.”

Trachtenberg admitted, however, that as a university president, he has limited control over scheduling the game.

“University presidents are merely cheerleaders in matters of this sort,” he said.

Real power lies in the hands of the two schools’ athletic directors and head coaches.

Jack Kvancz, the director of athletics at George Washington, declined comment, and Georgetown Director of Athletics Bernard Muir could not be reached.

One of the game’s largest obstacles could be determining where it should be held. Trachtenberg suggested that the teams could alternate hosting the event, but considering the15,000-seat discrepancy between MCI Center and GWU’s Smith Center, that option may not be viable.

“It’s annoying details like that which have to be fixed before you can give it a green light or a red light,” Trachtenberg said.

Mex Carey, Georgetown sports information director, said that it would probably be a few years before a game could be scheduled because non-conference games are decided well in advance. Georgetown must also schedule around NBA and NHL games played in CI Center while fitting in the games it must play in the 16-team Big East conference.