Sophomore Allegedly Strikes DPS Officer

A Georgetown sophomore is facing possible expulsion after allegedly striking a Department of Public Safety officer on Reservoir Road.

Vincent “Trey” Martin (MSB ’07) was visibly intoxicated early on the morning of Oct. 1, when he approached a SafeRides vehicle being driven by DPS officer Anthony Myers, according to DPS director Darryl Harrison.

Because of Martin’s intoxicated state, Myers requested to see student identification but Martin refused to provide it and made belligerent comments directed toward the officer, Harrison said.

In the ensuing argument, Harrison said Martin struck Myers at least one time before fleeing on foot. Myers initiated a call for assistance and Martin was subsequently located in the area, possibly hiding under a bush, and arrested by DPS officers, Harrison said.

MPD has not been involved in the case and no criminal charges have been pursued by Myers or DPS. The case has been remanded to the Office of Student Conduct. “This is a very unfortunate situation both for Mr. Martin and the university,” Harrison said. “I understand that there is a lot of interest in the case but it is sad to see this happen.”

Martin, however, denied assaulting Myers.

“I approached the officer and asked for a ride home. He said no and asked for identification and I tried to get away,” Martin said. “I never hit him and I have no idea why he would be saying this.”

Martin said witnesses who were present will support his version of events. He will appear before a university hearing board on onday.

Although it is unclear what sanctions Martin would face if found responsible for the Oct. 1 incident, physical assault with bodily injury is classified as a Category C violation, the most serious category under the university’s code of conduct.

Both intoxication and prior violations of the student code of conduct are considered aggravating circumstances. Possible sanctions could range from disciplinary probation to expulsion.

Last semester, Martin received a one-year suspension after a hearing board found him responsible for an attack on David Riedman (NHS ’07) outside the New South residence hall. The suspension was overturned this summer after questions arose about the fairness of the original hearing.

Martin was later allowed back on campus to participate in a new series of hearings on the case.

In an April interview with THE HOYA, Riedman said Martin had attacked him without provocation.

Martin accused Riedman of making obscene gestures at a basketball game prior to the confrontation and denied striking Riedman first.

The incident left Riedman unconscious and bloodied before he was found by a DPS officer and transported by GERMS to Georgetown University Hospital.

Following the attack, Martin was charged with aggravated assault, a felony. The charge was later reduced to simple assault, a misdemeanor.

University spokeswoman Laura Cavender said Wednesday that the university could not comment on the specifics of Martin’s cases.

Martin’s criminal and student judicial cases for the March incident are both pending.