Southwest Quad Construction Shuts Down Local Access Road

Continuing construction on the Southwest Quadrangle project, slated for completion in the fall of 2003, will affect campus traffic patterns as of Monday, Jan. 6 and will continue for approximately four months. The portion of Tondorf Road extending from the Prospect Street parking booth to the end of the Village C residence hall will be temporarily out of service.

“As a result of this temporary road closure, traffic patterns on campus will change during this period, and we appreciate your cooperation and understanding as this work begins, in order to ensure the timely completion of the Southwest Quadrangle project,” a Dec. 17 university broadcast e-mail said.

The Office of Transportation Management also recommends leaving extra time while traveling through the affected areas.

Current construction requires that no vehicular access be allowed through the university’s Prospect Street entrance and the stretch of Tondorf Street south of Lot T. Pedestrian traffic is permitted between the entrance to Lot 9, adjacent to the Lauinger Library on Prospect Street, and the Tondorf Road entrance to Lot C, by the rear of ICC.

Georgetown University members will be alerted to current and ongoing changes through the use of traffic signs and periodic university-wide broadcast e-mails. Any pedestrian routes will be clearly marked.

The construction will also affect the location of GUTS bus stops and temporarily suspend the stop near New South for the duration of the four months. The Car Barn stop is now at 35th and Prospect Street in front of the entrance to the LXR residence hall, while the Leavey Center stop will remain unchanged.

Additionally, the construction of retaining walls along the east and south sides of the university tennis courts and on South Road will require further traffic modifications. Although South Road and West Leavey Road will periodically experience lane closures, flagmen will ensure safe access for both drivers and pedestrians.

Further information and updated maps on the effected areas are posted at the Office of Transportation Management Web site at https://otm.georgetown.edu as well as the Southwest Quad Web site at www.georgetown.edu/facilities/swquad/.