Sports in November and December

The Georgetown men’s soccer team jump started November with a battle against Villanova in the first round of the Big East tournament. The Hoyas defeated the Wildcats 3-0 on penalty kicks. Three days later, however, a 5-0 loss to Connecticut in the quarterfinals brought Georgetown’s season to an end.

The gridiron wasn’t as kind to the Hoyas as the Georgetown football team had a tough go of it in the final month of the season. The Hoyas closed out their season with three consecutive losses.

After winning the NCAA mid-Atlantic regional, the Georgetown men’s cross-country team finished 16th at the NCAA national championships. Senior Fleet Hower was the Mid-Atlantic Regional champion and earned all-American honors with a 34th place finish at the national championships. The Georgetown women’s cross-country team finished 27th at the national championships.

Out on the high seas, senior Andrew Campbell led the Georgetown coed sailing team and finished the fall season ranked No. 1 in the nation by the ICSA panel of coaches. Campbell became the first sailor to win the ICSA men’s singlehanded championship three times.

On the hardwood, the Georgetown women’s basketball team opened their season on Nov. 20 with a 69-57 win over Savannah State. The Hoyas compiled a 7-4 record through the end of December.

Roy Hibbert wasted no time in displaying his off-season improvement, as his 20 points, seven rebounds, and four blocks led Georgetown’s basketball team to a 72-49 victory over Navy in the season opener. The Hoyas went on to win seven of their next nine games, including a 71-57 victory at Oregon.