St. John’s Thunders Past Hoyas

The St. John’s baseball team had its brooms out, but it wasn’t for spring cleaning.

The Red Storm blew by the Hoyas with a three-game sweep last weekend, giving St. John’s an 11-game winning streak – it’s second-longest in the last 20 years. (The longest came last year, when St. John’s won 13 in a row on its way to an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament.)

After two series of Big East matchups, St. John’s improved to 6-0 in the conference and 18-7 overall. Georgetown, meanwhile, dropped to 12-17 overall with just one league win.

St. John’s won the first game of the series 10-3, but the score does not tell the whole story. Though a seven-run margin seems like an insurmountable advantage, eight of those Red Storm runs scored on Hoya mistakes. Georgetown committed four errors – two by senior shortstop Matthew Johnson – and a wild pitch and a passed ball also contributed to free runs for St. John’s.

In fact, only two of St. John’s runs were actually earned: junior second baseman Sam DeLuca’s run on junior designated hitter Anthony Smith’s single in the fourth, and sophomore right fielder Chris Anninos’ solo homer in the eighth.

Senior right-handed starter Warren Sizemore (2-2) gave up nine hits in his four innings, taking the loss for Georgetown. St. John’s junior righty Rob Delaney, meanwhile, struck out nine but gave up seven hits in 5.1 innings to get his third win.

Anninos’ big bat powered St. John’s to a 15-9 win in the second game. Anninos crushed a grand slam in the Red Storm’s seven-run first inning, and he went on to hit another home run – this time just scoring himself – to finish with a career-high five RBI and a spot on this week’s Big East honor roll.

The Hoyas came back with four runs in both the third and fourth innings to go ahead 9-7, but the Red Storm answered with two runs in the sixth to tie it up. From there, St. John’s scored three in the seventh and three more in the eighth to secure the win.

Hoya starter Darren Sizemore, a freshman right-hander, only threw two innings because there was an hour-long rain delay before the third inning. Though Sizemore gave up six earned runs, freshman left-hander Andy Ferich (1-3) took the loss, because St. John’s recovered the lead during Ferich’s 4.1 innings.

Georgetown got out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning on Sunday thanks to a throwing error and a double from junior catcher Brandon Davis. But St. John’s ran through its batting order during a big six-run rally in the fifth inning and went on to win 9-3.

Sophomore left-hander Mike Gaggioli, Georgetown’s opening day starter, made his first start since March 10. He only pitched two innings, giving up just a hit and a walk, before sophomore right-hander Dan Kennedy came in to relieve him. Kennedy, now 2-1 with the loss, gave up seven earned runs and six hits in 2.1 innings.

Red Storm sophomore starter Nick Luisi (4-2), meanwhile, collected seven Ks in six innings. Although he allowed six walks and three hits, none of the three runs that the Hoyas scored during his appearance were earned, preserving Luisi’s low ERA. At 2.70, Luisi’s ERA is the seventh-best in the conference.

Though pitching was St. John’s forte in 2005 with the likes of closer Craig Hansen, who was picked in the first round of the Major League Baseball draft, this year it is the offense that shines most brightly. St. John’s ranks second in most offensive categories in the Big East – including batting average (.335), runs scored (216) and home runs (21) – and leads the league with a .496 slugging percentage.

The Hoyas, on the other hand, have a .263 batting average, 10th of 12 in the league. The only meaningful offensive statistics that Georgetown ranks in the top five are stolen bases (fifth, with 34) and strikeouts (second, with 212).

Georgetown gets a breather from the Big East schedule with a non-conference game on Wednesday against UMBC. The game gets underway at 3 p.m. at the Hoyas’ Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md.