Starr Visits Hilltop

Former Independent Counsel Kenneth J. Starr lectured to and fielded questions from Professor James C. Duff’s Constitutional Law class yesterday morning about the position of Independent Counsel and his experience investigating President William J. Clinton (SFS ’68).

Starr outlined the background of the Independent Counsel Statute and explained that he harbored serious reservations about the statute from its inception.

His chief concerns included the question of accountability during an investigation, the breadth of the Independent Counsel’s power and restricting executive power of removal.

Starr termed the Independent Counsel a “21-year experiment” and noted that although the position of Independent Counsel was established in the wake of the Watergate scandal to increase public confidence, it ultimately did the opposite.

The length and breath of the investigation was also discussed. Starr noted that the price tag on his investigation was as small as possible considering that it stretched from the travel office firings to the Lewinsky affair.

Starr explained that he does feel the often lascivious details in his report detracted significantly from its overall purpose, adding that he believed Congress should have exercised more discretion when releasing it.

While answering questions, Starr joked about his image in the media and questions he has been asked in the past.