Student Assaulted Outside Village A

The Metropolitan Police Department responded to the assault of a student who was hit on the head several times with a gun and robbed by three individuals near Village A late Saturday night.

Ranjan Subramanian (COL ’08) was walking back to his dorm alone in the parking lot behind Lauinger Library at approximately 11 p.m. when a man ran in front of him and stopped him at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Village A.

“I wasn’t suspecting anything, so I went to the stairs,” Subramanian said. “He stepped in front of me and held his hands out. I thought I got in the way or something.”

Subramanian said that two other men then came from behind him, including one who was holding a pistol. The man with the gun hit him twice on the back of the head, causing Subramanian to stumble forward and fall on the ground.

Subramanian said he was then pushed into a Village A apartment door, where the suspects cornered him. He said the suspect with the gun hit him on the front and top of his head five or six times, demanding money.

Subramanian then threw his wallet at them, at which point he said they ran away.

“It happened so fast – I wasn’t even thinking,” Subramanian said. “I just gave them whatever they wanted.”

Subramanian said that he was caught off guard, especially because the incident took place before midnight. “It happened in less than 10 seconds,” he said. “It was surprising, since it was pretty early in the night.”

He said that after he walked up the stairs, two individuals saw him bleeding and called the Department of Public Safety and Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service.

Vice President for University Safety David Morrell said that DPS immediately notified MPD.

Morrell said that the suspects were last seen fleeing east on Prospect Street and down the steps by the Car Barn.

Subramanian was transported by GERMS to Georgetown University Hospital, where he said he received four staples on the top of his head and two on the back of his head.

He said he had four or five substantial injuries, including two large bruises and other abrasions on his head. “I was bleeding a lot on my face and head,” he said. “I could feel my hair basically soaked in the blood.”

Subramanian said he was released Sunday morning.

According to the MPD report, the three suspects were all black males estimated to be between 17 and 19 years of age. Morrell said they were not Georgetown students.

Although MPD has begun investigating the incident, DPS is working alongside it, according to Morrell.

“MPD did a great job of responding,” Morrell said.

Subramanian said that while he was in the hospital, his wallet was found on the ground near the scene of the assault, although the cash had been removed. He said that everything else, including his driver’s license, was intact.

“I guess all they wanted was the money,” Subramanian said. “It was only $17, so it wasn’t very much.”

The MPD Detective Bureau declined to comment.

“It’s so disturbing, these people thinking they can come here, commit these crimes and take off,” Morrell said.