Student Considers Run for Seat in Rhode Island State Senate

One Georgetown senior is going a step further than most of Georgetown’s aspiring politicians as he gears up for a possible run for the Rhode Island State Senate.

If Patrick Schmitt (COL ’06) wins the Democratic Party’s nomination in September, he would face off against the State Senate’s minority leader, Dennis Algiere, a Republican who represents Schmitt’s home district.

Currently no one else has announced a campaign for the Democratic primary, meaning that, if Schmitt were to run, he would likely be on the ballot on Election Day.

Schmitt, the executive director of the executive committee for Students Taking Action Now: Darfur, a student organization that advocates aid to Sudan, said that his experience with STAND helped him realize his attraction to public service.

“When I joined STAND I put a lot of passion and energy into it, because, at the time, it was the best way for me to serve,” Schmitt said. “It proves the ability of a hardworking team to do great things.”

Schmitt added that, as he prepares to graduate, he considers “being in public office the best way to continue to serve.”

“We need candidates that operate consistently within a human rights framework,” he said.

STAND members described Schmitt as an energetic leader for their organization.

“In STAND he brought a lot of diverse people together,” Jane Li (COL ’09) said. “He knows how to form consensus. . He knows how to delegate.”

Trinh Nguyen (NHS ’09), another STAND member, praised Schmitt for being a good leader.

“He is very friendly and conciliatory,” she said. “He is a good person to ask for help.”

Algiere, who could not be reached for comment, has represented his district unopposed since 1992. The district consists of two towns – Westerly and Charlestown – that are comprised of mostly Democratic voters.

Algiere could not be reached for comment.

“Our community needs leadership that is willing to take on the long-term, systematic challenges that face Westerly and Charlestown,” Schmitt said. “We need innovative ideas that bring new results.”