Student Faces Assault Charge

Courtesy David Riedman David Riedman (NHS ’07) said he took this photo after a physical altercation with Vincent “Trey” Martin (MSB ’07).

A freshman pitcher on the Georgetown University baseball team has been charged with aggravated assault for allegedly beating another Georgetown student outside the New South Residence Hall on arch 26.

Vincent “Trey” Martin (MSB ’07) was charged on arch 30 and will face a preliminary hearing on Thursday for striking David Riedman (NHS ’07).

Martin flatly denied the allegations, calling them “ridiculous,” and said that he had been “very cooperative” with the investigation. He also said in an interview yesterday that he would file countercharges in the university’s judicial hearing, which has not yet been scheduled.

Martin, a relief pitcher on the baseball team, was charged and released without being detained in jail. While he has not been in uniform for the games since being charged, Martin has been present at baseball games and practices.

Sports Information Director Bill Shapland declined to elaborate on Martin’s future with the baseball team.

“The student’s right to privacy precludes me from making any comments on the issue,” he said.

Baseball Head Coach Pete Wilk did not return a phone call placed yesterday.

Martin said he cannot suit up for baseball games until the incident has been cleared by the courts and the university judicial system.

Riedman and Martin each said that the other had been intoxicated at the time of the incident.

“I was outside New South, right outside the entrance to have a smoke when I was approached by Mr. Martin,” Riedman said in an interview.

Martin approached Riedman and demanded an apology, but Riedman said he told Martin that he did not know what it was for.

Riedman said Martin proceeded to strike him in the face repeatedly and threw him toward a trash can. Riedman also said he had been hit so quickly that he had no time to respond or defend himself.

After being knocked unconscious, according to Riedman’s statement on the police report, a Department of Public Safety officer found Riedman and had him transported to Georgetown University hospital by GERMS.

“I had numerous injuries on my face. My eye was swollen shut for a couple of days and a pocket of fluid had built up in my head,” he said.

But Martin denied Riedman’s account, which had been detailed in the MPD police report. Martin said that the event stemmed from an earlier “verbal altercation” at MCI Center.

“Someone threw something that hit him and he looked back at me and we made eye contact. He was intoxicated and flipping me off,” Martin said. “So when I saw him sitting on the bench – I’d been seeing him around all the time – I went up to him and asked for an apology.”

Martin said that Riedman responded, “I don’t apologize to nobody.”

“He got all up in my face and so I pushed him away,” artin said.

Riedman struck Martin first, Martin said, and after a scuffle, Riedman fell backwards over a bench.

“I didn’t see him fall down and I left right after that,” Martin said.

This is not the first case of physical violence between students on campus.

Georgetown junior David Shick was punched in the face on Feb. 18, 2000, and hit his head on the concrete sidewalk in the Lauinger Library parking lot, dying four days later from injuries sustained by hitting the ground. While his death was ruled a homicide by the D.C. medical examiner, the influence of alcohol in the case led the U.S. Attorney’s Office to believe that there was not a “reasonable likelihood of obtaining a conviction,” and the case was never prosecuted.

In Nov. 2002, Mackenzie Fulk (MSB ’06) faced simple assault charges for striking another student, Jason Boice (NHS ’03), during an altercation in front of Wisemiller’s Deli during Homecoming weekend.

“Physical assault with bodily injury” is classified by Georgetown University as a “Category C” offense, “for which a student could be dismissed from the university on disciplinary grounds,” according to the Student Conduct section of the Student Handbook.

The maximum penalty for category C offences, the most serious in the university’s adjudication system, is expulsion.

Director of DPS Darryl Harrison did not return a phone call placed yesterday and the MPD Detective in charge of the case was unavailable for comment.

Second District Community Prosecutor Tim Lucas, who works with PD and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, said that Thursday’s arraignment hearing will determine probable cause for the arrest and determine whether the case will go to trial.

Aggravated assault carries a maximum penalty of eight years in prison, a $10,000 fine or both.