Student Found Dead on Parkway

A Georgetown University sophomore was found dead on the George Washington Memorial Parkway early Monday morning, the university announced today.

The student, 19-year-old Michal Subczynski, was an International Politics major in the School of Foreign Service.

According to the United States Park Police, a driver reported seeing a body on the roadway at 3:21 a.m. on Monday. Residents of Darnall Hall, where Subczynski lived, say they last saw him in the dorm at around 3 a.m.

Officers closed the road shortly after arriving on the scene and, with the help of Georgetown’s Department of Public Safety, they identified the body as Subczynski. The Parkway, which runs a scenic route along the Potomac River, connects the District to Northern Virginia.

The cause of death remains under investigation as the university continues to work with Subczynski’s family, students and the U.S. Park Police, according to university officials. His computer is also being used to aid the investigation.

A broadcast e-mail Monday afternoon assured students that the university community should not feel threatened.

“At this time we have no reason to believe that members of our community are in danger,” Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said.

Subczynski, who spoke seven languages and had received a perfect score on the ACT exam before coming to Georgetown, was a John Carroll Scholar and a teaching assistant for the Carroll Forum, an introductory course for freshmen. He also served on the editorial board for Mentis Vita, the John Carroll program’s academic journal, and was a member of the International Relations Club.

“He was absolutely brilliant,” said Alexander McNeel (SFS ’06), Subczynski’s freshman year roommate. The roommates lived on the fourth floor of New South.

At a gathering of about 50 students and faculty last night in Village C West Alumni Lounge, university officials offered students available counseling services.

More than 50 students, including many from the fifth floor of Darnall Hall, attended the Catholic liturgy that followed in Dahlgren Chapel and gathered outside under umbrellas afterward, remembering Subczynski.

“There’s a lot of the normal reaction – confusion, some anger and a lot of sadness, a lot of people wanting answers,” Tania Kaimowitz (SFS ’06), the Darnall fifth floor resident advisor, said.

Marina Lafferriere (SFS ’06), who lived on the fourth floor of New South last year, said that, to his floor mates, Subczynski seemed very happy.

“He always walked with a little bit of bounce in his step,” she said.

“He wasn’t very outgoing but he was always nice to everyone who knew him,” McNeel agreed.

Concerned students can contact University Counseling and Psychiatric Services at 202.687.6985. University Hospital Emergency Room staff are available 24 hours a day at 202.444.2119.

Clergy members can be reached through Campus Ministry at 202.687.1395 and off-hours at 202.668.3195. Additionally, the Residence Life staff will be on call 24 hours a day for the next couple of days.