Student-Run Show Set to Open in Davis Center

The curtain will go up on the first completely student-run, full-scale production to hit the Davis Performing Arts Center when “Translations” premieres next week, following more than 16 months in which student groups were barred from using the facility.

Before the performance space opened in November 2005, many student performers thought that it would provide much-needed relief from the university’s prior theater constraints. But administrators announced that the space would be used primarily for academic performances and would only serve student theater in a limited capacity. Numerous student performers expressed their dismay with the university’s decision last winter, but administrators said that it was necessary to maintain the space’s academic capacities.

“Translations” will be the first entirely student-produced production to be given full access to the theater facilities since the stage opened nearly a year and a half ago. According to a plan devised by administrators before the Davis Center opened, one student production is selected annually to have “main stage” privileges, with full access to the theater’s lighting, costume, set and other production capacities, as well as have at least six performances.

Maya Roth, director of the theater program and artistic director of the performing arts program, says that it has always been the administration’s intention to share the center with student groups.

“We still have a key focus on providing projects for students involved in the academic program, and we have always shared the space with student groups,” Roth said.

Roth said that the goal of large student involvement in shows has been vigorously met, in part due to the selection of an annual student production.

“Student groups have played a very active role in the life of the Davis Center,” she said. “We want to have student-directed work in the Davis Center and this, like the senior thesis projects, is one way to do so. We will consider proposals and choose up to one per year, as announced in our opening season.”

Administrators say the Davis Center was intended from the beginning to be used not only for student and academic productions, but for other school-sponsored events such as the Interfaith Arts Festival which will be held during the same week as “Translations.”

Roth said it is important that the space be used for a variety of different projects and purposes.

“This is healthiest for Georgetown and ideal for students, who can do projects with a wide range of communities, some focused on rigor, some focused on collaboration across faculty and students, some on collaboration across student groups, some on students collaborating with guest artists.”

“Translations” was chosen as a result of a strong proposal written by director JoJo Ruf (COL ’08), a member of the Nomadic Theater, a student theater troupe.

“JoJo and Nomadic’s proposal was fantastic, demonstrating readiness to take on the technical challenges of working in the Davis Center,” Roth said. “This team is gifted, prepared and committed to artistic excellence.”