Students Celebrate African Culture and Diversity

The African Society of Georgetown presented its annual cultural showcase, a presentation of African heritage and diversity, to a packed house in the Pre-Clinical Science Building last week.

This year’s show featured poetry, dramatic skits, song and dance from five African nations – Egypt, Mozambique, Cameroon, Tanzania and Nigeria – representing the five regions of Africa, as well as the diversity within the African continent and the African experience.

Organizers said that the theme of this year’s showcase, “The Revolution Starts Here,” was designed to challenge the audience to view revolution as any fundamental change or reversal of conditions.

“The purpose of the show was to depict different types of revolution,” said Elsa Andriani (COL ’08), ASG events chair and director of this year’s production. “Revolution can be ideological or cultural, like a dance or a play.”

The first country on the cultural tour of Africa was Egypt, which featured a skit called “Cinder-Leila,” adapted from the classical tale “Cinderella.”Cinder-Leila” is the story of a prince who marries a servant-girl, despite her lowly social status. Set in 1955, the skit examines how Egyptian society adapted to Western influences and cultural changes as well as conflict that arose as a result of British colonization.

“La Nouvelle Vie,” a mini-musical written and directed by Adenike Odunmbaku (COL ’08) was set in contemporary Cameroon. The short musical portrays a discouraged group of young students who are increasingly frustrated with the injustices they see all around them. Rather than continuing to vent their frustrations, the students resolve to come together to initiate change within their community.

Odunmbaku said her mini-musical was inspired by an article she read about police attacking a group of students protesting for better conditions at a university in Cameroon.

The show also featured several ethnic dances performed or choreographed by students, as well as a performance of the South African national anthem in Zulu

“It was political, it was entertaining, but at the same time, it made you think,” Andriani said.