Students Donate Blood, Get Free Ice Cream

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Alex Diaz de Villalvilla (COL ’01) promotes the blood drive.

Ben and Jerry’s distributed free ice cream to Georgetown students yesterday to help promote an on-campus blood drive as well as other American Red Cross volunteer programs.

The Ben and Jerry’s Scoop Truck, parked outside Healy Gates on O Street, distributed free cups of ice cream and reminded students of the national blood shortage and the need to volunteer.

If students gave blood in the Bulldog Alley blood drive or filled out a Red Cross volunteer form they received a certificate for a free scoop of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. At the truck, customers could choose from three new flavors: Aloha Macadamia, Kaberry Kaboom, or Concession Obsession.

Red Cross Youth Services Coordinator Chase Keith said one of the goals of the day’s work was “to promote awareness of the Red Cross.”

She also said they hoped a Red Cross campus club could be started at Georgetown next year. Organizers looked for students interested in becoming founding members. Keith said the Red Cross also offers flexible internships for college students.

Christian Navarro (COL ’01) reacted positively to the program. “[It] is good to raise student awareness,” he said.

Debbie Bobovnikova (SFS ’01) also said the Ben and Jerry’s campaign was an effective advertising strategy with the potential to increase student awareness about the blood drive.

“It’s good to see companies doing this type of thing,” Bobovnikova said.

Every year Ben and Jerry’s gives around seven and a half percent of its pre-tax earnings to philanthropic causes. This joint “pint for a pint” program with the American Red Cross is touring 26 college campuses around the country, including University of California, Berkeley and Princeton University, during the months of April and early May.

Ben and Jerry’s Marketing Coordinator Sean Greenwood said Georgetown was chosen because of its large student body and because it has a history of high blood drive student participation rates.

So far, Greenwood said the Red Cross received 25 to 50 percent more blood during the special college tour drive than during average blood drives, possibly because of the added incentive of free ice cream. Ben and Jerry’s stresses involvement in blood drives and says college students can make a difference. Greenwood said Ben and Jerry’s may conduct another university tour next year.