Students Gather at Capitol for Dalai Lama

Thousands of spectators, including a number of students, trekked to Capitol Hill on Wednesday to witness the Dalai Lama receive the Congressional Gold Medal, Congress’ highest civilian award.

The ceremony has received a great deal of media attention in recent weeks because the Dalai Lama has been an outspoken advocate for Tibetan autonomy, a move that is strongly opposed by China.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) addressed the symbolism of the award that has caused the public statements of condemnation from the Chinese government.

“Because of this ceremony, the United States is sending a very clear message to the People’s Republic of China that we want them to receive the Dalai Lama for talks in Beijing,” she said.

The Chinese have occupied Tibet, a region between India and China, since 1949, and the Tibetans have been pushing for their independence since a non-violent uprising in 1959, which caused the Dalai Lama to flee to India.

“I accept this award on behalf of peace and interreligious understanding,” the Dalai Lama said to the public upon receiving his award.

“One of the key values in Tibetan culture is warm-heartedness and compassion,” he added. “It is because of these reasons, even in our own struggle for gaining rights, that we follow non-violent principles.”

Although no student groups organized trips to the ceremony, several students in attendance said they felt inspired in the Dalai Lama’s presence.

“It’s strange to think I was standing only 100 feet away from the Dalai Lama,” Kristy Hovis (COL ’11) said. “It’s a very cool experience to get to see such an important political figure in the city I live in.”

Michael Lonie (COL ’11) expressed similar admiration for the honoree.

“He’s one of the most influential men in our age because he uses peace as an opportunity to get things done,” ichael Lonie said. “It was a really great chance to get to see him speak.”