Students Robbed At Gunpoint

Two male Georgetown students were robbed at gunpoint Tuesday and Wednesday nights near their off-campus residences. Metropolitan Police Department officials believe the same man committed both robberies.

The suspect escaped with small amounts of cash in both incidents, and neither student was injured.

According to Lt. Brian Bray of MPD, the students involved, Christopher Fischer (MED ’04) and Matt Randall (MSB ’02), each described the person who robbed him as a clean-shaven 25-year-old black male dressed in dark clothing, approximately 5-foot-10 and 160 pounds. In both robberies, the suspect was holding a small, dark handgun in his left hand.

No one has been apprehended, but police are trying to isolate the suspect through photo identification and from fingerprints possibly left on Randall’s wallet, Bray said. He added that PD had plainclothes policemen patrolling both areas Thursday night in case the robber targeted the area again.

Fischer said he was walking to his house at 27th St. between O and P Streets after parking his car at about 10:40 p.m. Tuesday when the subject accosted him between O and Dumbarton Streets.

The suspect pointed his gun at Fischer and told him, “Give me your money,” Fischer said. Fischer set down his backpack, which had his wallet in it, and gave the suspect the $4 he had in his pocket. The suspect then headed south on 27th Street with the cash.

“I was hoping he wouldn’t count the money,” Fischer said, and explained that the bills were wadded up, making it difficult to tell how much cash he had handed the suspect.

“I walked to 7-11, which is right around the corner … and called the cops from there,” Fischer said.

The suspect was wearing a navy blue T-shirt with white stripes and dark pants, Bray said.

Randall said he was returning from Champions on Thursday at about 9:30 p.m. when he encountered the suspect on 34th Street between P Street and Volta.

According to Randall, the suspect said, “Hey buddy,” then pulled out his gun, told Randall to empty his pockets and said, “I’m not playing with you.” The suspect was wearing dark clothing.

Randall said he handed the suspect his keys and wallet, and the suspect only took the wallet. Randall then stood still as the suspect moved away, until the suspect yelled, “go!” at which point Randall turned around and walked toward his house.

Randall called 911, and MPD officers arrived at approximately 9:45 p.m. The officers searched the area where Randall was robbed in case the suspect had removed cash from the wallet and then tossed it along the sidewalk.

At 11:15 p.m., Randall received a call from a person who had found his wallet on Pennsylvania Avenue across from the National Archives. Randall said his credit cards were in his wallet, but the $25 cash that had been there was gone.

Bray said MPD is checking the wallet for fingerprints. He added it is possible the suspect threw the wallet from a bus that goes from the Georgetown area down Pennsylvania Avenue.

Bray reiterated the need to walk with someone else at night, regardless of your gender your and location.

“You never hear of two people getting robbed at the same time,” he said, “But if you’re walking alone, and someone has a gun, they’re going to target you.”