Students Walk For Heart Disease

More than 50 members of the Georgetown community made the trek around Nationals Park on Saturday in an effort to raise awareness about heart disease, collecting the most donations of any college in the area.

Participants in the Start! Heart Walk raised a total of $1.5 million, which will be used to support the American Heart Association, an organization that works to combat heart disease and stroke.

“The Heart Walk was amazing this year,” said Patty MacEwan, vice president for the event in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. area. She said about 10,000 people participated, which was held in Nationals Park for the first time this year.

Georgetown beat out four other area schools to win the College Cup, which is awarded to the biggest fundraiser. MacEwan said that although not all donations had been sorted, Georgetown students had raised almost $4,000. Charles DeSantis, associate vice president and chief benefits officer at Georgetown, was also awarded one of 12 lifestyle change awards.

acEwan said she hoped more students would become involved, whether through participating or cheering on others as members of the Georgetown baseball team did on Saturday.

“You’re at a great point in your life to make sure you’re on track to a healthy lifestyle,” she said. “Plus it’s just a great way to give back to the community.”